Computer freezes while playing games. Please help!

akatoka

Heya.
I brought a new desktop almost two weeks ago sortof for entertainment purposes and have loaded FS2004, The Sims 2 inc. expansion packs Apartment Life + Bon Voyage and also Simcity4, and everytime I try to play the games, within the first few minutes, it crashes. i.e screeching noise followed by freezing and/or monitor shutting off, forcing me to restart the desktop again with the on/off button.
Have read numerous threads regarding simmilar issues but thought it would be best to post my own directly for help, which I am in desperate need of as I am at my wits end!. Also not very computer savvy so please bare with me...

My specs as follows.
O.S Windows XP S.P 3
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz
1GB DDR ram,(4x 256mbs)
80gb sata hard drive,secondary 80gb hard-drive(160gb total)
Agp ATI Radeon 9200 video card 128mb
Onboard sound
Olympic ATX 400W Power Supply.
Direct X 9.0

I have also downloaded the upgrade drives for the specified Radeon driver, to no avail.
Am not sure what is going on and am abit confused as to what to do. Would really appreciate some help please!.
Thanks.

This can't be a new desktop with those outdated parts. Perhaps it's used and you mean new to you. Anyway, ATI stopped supporting that graphics card long ago. What driver version did you install?

Ohh great! :( haha. That would explain it. Yeah it's new to me, brought it off someone who does up computers. Had I realised it would be old parts I would've thought otherwise.

I downloaded the 6.11 version for the 9200 series release date 2006.

Thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated.
Do you think there is anything I can do to solve the problem or is it likely that I would have to buy a new drive?

You actually need Catalyst version 6.5. Download it here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1407

Be sure to uninstall the previous driver first through Add or Remove Programs before installing version 6.5.

Although when you go to ATI/AMD's website and they give you Catalyst 6.11 for your Radeon 9200, if you check their release notes, you'll find the 9200 is NOT supported by Catalyst 6.11. Catalyst 6.5 is the last version that supported the 9200 but I could not find it at ATI/AMD's website. They used to have it but if they still do, it's well hidden. Anyway, other websites such as the one I linked to still host Catalyst 6.5. As a side note, Catalyst 6.5 was released in May 2006.

BTW, I happen to have the Radeon 9200 installed in an old, old PC I have put away for time being. It all still works though.

Great thanks, I tried that now, but currently having problems with the cli.exe app error upon startup however I'm downloading registrybooster.exe to see if that'l remedy the problem.
Cheers for getting back to me. I'll keep you posted.

My desktop is still crashing. I downloaded the Catalyst program, uninstalled .net 4 and installed .net 2, uninstalled the old drivers then installed the new one and its going fine. Then I tried to open The Sims 2 and it went well for a couple of minutes then it screetches and the screen cut's off. I don't know what to do!!.

Unless you installed the driver only, you will need .NET Framework 2.0 for the Catalyst package to run.

Sorry, what do you mean by installed the driver only?
Yeah I downloaded .net framework 2.0 then installed the catalyst program after that. Managed to get 5mins worth on the sim but then my screen went onto standby again. :(

When ATI publishes a Catalyst driver suite, they also publish a driver only file without the Catalyst software. That's all I was referring to.

I think something is wrong with the graphics card. Do you have access to any other compatible graphics card to test with?

Ok Im back!. I recently got a new video card installed professionally, it is a 1gb ATI HD3650. And so I bring the desktop home works fine, then start up The Sims 2 again, a few minutes later, it freezes on me again! The first time with the screeching and vertical stripes across the monitor, reboot, start game again, second freeze with screen frozen on the game and the sound repeating the moment it froze!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW! :(.

Is there anyway I can found out whats causing it to crash? Even though the Power Supply is a 400W, could this be the cause?

Back