Computer freezing frequently, help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's my problem, I recently bought NEW comp parts after I fried my old 939 Motherboard. It ran well for a while then I started to play Guild Wars because my friend wants me to play, but when I log in the sound stays on one beat repeats itself rapidly and stops and my entire screen just freezes, I had no other choice but to restart, I then cotnacted Guild Wars tech support and they suggested I should run the guildwars problem with -image in the end which allows me to download all the images, I left it on all night long to have all 11,000+ files. The next day my Guild Wars issue isn't fixed but then when I played some videos and music the same result will occur even without Guild Wars running....it then began to freeze sometimes when windows loads and I end up restarting it again at times I can leave it on for the whole day and not touch it and it will be fine, but when I start it up and start a program, BAM freeze. My friend suggested all these problems that can occur like my power supply I bought a new one and still same results....can anyone please help me decifer the problem? I really don't want to take it in for a diagnostic becuase the professionals I take it to charge too much.

My specs are as follows:
AMD 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
MSI K9A2 CF AMD 790X
Corsair XMS 2GB DDR2 800 PC6400
PNY Verto GeForce 8500GT

PLEASE I'M IN NEED OF SERIOUS HELP OF THIS PROBLEM! Thanks!

Yes download the Bootable ISO burn it to a CD, leave the CD in the Drive shut down the Computer and then when you turn it back on it should boot into the CD, you set the test going and then let it run for about 3-5 hours or for a minimum of 7 passes.

Note: If the Computer just goes onto the Windows then shut it down again and turn it back on and go into BIOS which will be something like pressing F2 or F5 when the comp is first turned on, find the options on bootable devices and change the CD Drive to first and HDD to second.

Try running Check Disk in Windows - (My Computer > Right Click On Local Disk(C) > Properties > Tools > Error Checking "Check Now" > Tick "Scan For and Attempt Recovery Of Bad Sectors > Start). And then run the HDD manufacturers Test found on their website.

Someone else had a problem with finding there tests as well.
Do you know the Model Name and Number of the Drive?

Oh okay thanks, do I download the Life Guard Diagnostic? I'm really sorry if I don't know anything I'm not much of a computer person

Yes normally if a comp is freezing/restarting, in your case freezing on games and videos as well as having problems with sound it's normally a problem with the RAM (which you have tested with no errors), HDD, Overheating or maybe a problem with the Graphics card.

So we're just trying to rule out those possibilities, then if there okay then we would check the CPU and if worst comes to worst then it is most likely the Motherboard.
I'll list everything here what you need to do

1. Test The RAM - Done
2. Test HDD With Manufacturers Test - Waiting For Results
3. Download Everest Home Edition To Check The Temps For The System. - http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml
4. Remove the Graphics Card And Try Running The Game In The Lowest Graphics Settings.
5. If The First 4 Check Out Ok Then Download Prime95 To Test The CPU. 64bit Version - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

Alright, I'll do that over a couple days, because of work I won't be home most of the day and usually it'll be a 5 hour difference between us so time over time I'll be posting results. Thanks

i have had that problem more than a couple of times. I find that it is usually a heat issue. If its not a heat issue, the problem is that i have overclocked a little bit too far. Be sure to check out the temps of your cpu and gpu and make sure that you have all of your hardware at default speeds. If the temps seem a bit high look into some 3rd party coolers.

Hey woody1191, I reformatted my Vista and changed it to XP Pro, I ran Guild Wars recently, it ran SMOOTHLY! So I assume its just a program issue....thanks a lot for your help!

Same Issue, Different Person

Hey,

I have the same problem as the guy who started this thread....My first thought was that my computer was overheating, but after playing a game my temps look normal to me....processor is at an average of about 65. HDD is about 28, fx card is 55. It also happens when I am just listening to music as well with no heavy load on any component. Everything is brand new as well. I just received it from NewEgg mid last week. The memory test is running right now, with no errors so far.

My specs are:
Intel Core2 Quad Q6700
GeForce 8800GT Amp Edition
Intel DQ35J0 MB
ADATA 4GB DDR2 800
WD Raptor 74GB HD

Also, I have a second HDD that seems to run well, however under the temp reading it's always around 150C even right after boot....It's not hot to the touch. I use it only for media storage, so it is rarely used....Why would it run so hot, or why would the reading me so high? It has a fan right in front of it as well....

Thanks for any help

Good to hear Andwun that worked.
Also was your comp originally installed with Windows XP or was it Vista?

Medic-5150 that CPU temp is really high it should never run for long periods over 60 C. It should only hit 60 C when underload and thats not ideal. Check that your heatsink is connected correctly and that the thermal paste is not too thick or that there is enough on the CPU. It would be best if you remove it and put a new layer on.

That 2nd HDD temp looks like a incorrect reading to me if it was that hot it would burn your skin off when you touch it.
Which software did you use to read the temps?

After running all night, my memory suffered from 4864786 errors with a total of 11 passes. Most common failing addresses seem ro bw 000b7834efc- 2936.2MB and 000b7b84eec-2940MB. err-bits are all 1000. MY analysis tells me that the second stick is bad, but how do I know which stick that is on the board? I redid the heatsink/thermal compound and now it won't boot normally I get a BSOD but the screen doesn't stay long enough to get the stop code. I disabled auto restart before all of this, so I'm not sure why the BSOD doesn't stay up. Safe mode works. And it told me that "one of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternative copy. I cannot get a temp reading on the processor though in safe mode. I've been using CPUID Hardware Monitor. I tried SpeedFan to check the readings and both had the same temps for all the hardware.....

Alright I got a stop code: 0x00000050 (0xaadfad20, 0x00000000, 0xaadfad20, 0x00000000) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I think I've entered the realm of Motherboard Failure. After that stop code I got a second code 0x000007E. I got that once, booted in safe mode just fine, and then it ran at what sounds like a turbine jet engine speed, for about 30 seconds then shuts down. Then it won't turn back on for about 30 seconds, then it would do it again. Then it started beeping (one long in a lower tone, then one long in a high frequency) it did that a few times, restarting after each beep cycle. Then it stopped beeping all together, and would jsut turn ont hen off. And now it turns on beeps (very loud, very high pitched continuous) and it does that until you force it off, but immediately after turning off it turns back on and repeats.......Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is still under waranty I've only had it for a few days....Shuld I jsut RMA it? IF I do RMA would you suggest the same board (Intel DQ35J0, or exchange it for another one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back