Computer gets power, but monitor says no signal

Dexter181

Last night everything was working fine and everything shut down properly when I went to sleep. This morning I turned my pc on and went downstairs for a minute while it booted. I came back up and my tower was on, fans were running, but my monitor was in standby. I moved the mouse around thinking it had gone to sleep while I was downstairs but nothing happened so I restarted. Everything came on again except this time the monitor said "No Input Signal" before going into standby and I noticed the keyboard wasn't lit up. I'm not sure if the keyboard was lit up the first time or not. I have 2 SLI'd video cards and I've tried booting with only one in at a time with no success. I've also swapped out my ram with no success. I upgraded my mobo last November (11/27/11) and have had no problems until now. As much as I hope it isn't the mobo I'm afraid it might be. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

2x G.Skill Ripjaws 4gb DDR3
AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX

I unhooked all the fans so as to use as little power as possible and still no change. Still think I should try a completely different psu?

Yes, if the computer still won't display after you swap power supplies, then it's the motherboard. SLI set ups need a lot of power. What is the power supply's make and model?

Not home at the moment and can't remember off the top of my head but it's BFG Tech 550w. I did try running it with just one video card and that didn't make a difference.

Yeah, that's a bit small for your setup... You should be running a 850 watt or similar. I have a Corsair 650 watt in my non-SLI rig and I'm starting to have issues. This system is almost 2 years old. You can check my specs. That AMD CPU draws a lot more power than my Intel i5 does...

That recommends 568w. I have a 550 currently and without any fans and only one card it still doesn't boot properly.

I would still go with at least a SLI certified 650 Watt... Your existing PS may just be failing to provide enough current on one critical voltage line. Unloading devices may not have any effect on this

Back