Computer has power but will not boot up

Question... Right now I am using my wifes netbook because my system decided to take a dive.

The other day I went on my computer and found that my mouse and keyboard were not functioning properly. I rebooted my system several times but continued to have problems with the mouse and keyboard not working. I decided to run out to Fry's electronics and pick up an new keyboard and mouse that would function under the USB ports. Since I did this, I also decided to clean my system. This is what I did...

I pulled my 4 sticks of 1Gb memory cards out, my Heat sink and my CPU and my fan. These items were pretty dirty as I had not cleaned my system out in over a year. Using two cans of compressed air I blew out all dust and debris out of the case, cleaned my fan and heatsink fan, then I cleaned my CPU (I wiped off the old paste). I reinstalled everything in the same order adding new Thermal pasted to the CPU. (I have done this many times before on my other computer without problems). As I was reinstalling the parts back into my computer... my son decided he wanted to play with my memory sticks. I know...oooops!.

Okay, after installing everything I did a start up but my computer will not start. The fan turns on and the heatsink fans starts but then stops abruptly. So my computer has power but the system will not start. Is it possile that my son may have damaged my Memory sticks with static electricity or could it be something else?

Below is an image of my computer and specifications. I would post images and specs but this is my first post.

Specs...

HP Pavilion Verde Special Edition a6645f PC
Specifications
Operating System • Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1 -
delivers premier performance, reliability, and enhanced security(1)
Processor • AMD AthlonTM X2 4850e Dual-Core Processor(2)
Processor Speed • 2.50GHz(2)
Chipset • nVIDIA nForce 430 Chipset
Cache (L2) • 1MB L2 Cache
Bus Speed • 2000MHz System Bus
Memory • 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (4x2048MB) (expandable
to 8GB
Hard Drive • 500GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive -- for your photo, music and video
library(4)
Optical Drive(s) • SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology(6) 16x DVD±R, 8x
DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 4x DVD-R DL, 5x DVD-RAM, 16x
DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM(6)
Video Graphics • NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated
graphics memory. Up to 1343MB Total Available Graphics Memory as
allocated by Windows Vista®
Network Interface • Integrated 10/100Mbps network interface
Sound • High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
Memory Slots • 4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (occupied)
Expansion Slots • 1 PCI (one available)
• 2 PCI Express x1(24) (two available)
• 1 PCI Express x16(24) (one available)
Expansion Bays • 2 external 5.25" (one available)
• 1 external 3.5" (one available)
• 2 internal 3.5" (one available)
External Ports • Front panel 15-in-1 memory card reader: supports SmartMedia, xD,
MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Mini Secure Digital, Compact Flash I,
Compact Flash II, IBM Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory
Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo, RSMMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+
• 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Back)
• 2 FireWire® (IEEE 1394) port(s) (1 Front, 1 Back)
• Headphone; Microphone (Front)
• 2 PS/2; Digital Audio Out; LAN; Microphone/Line-in/Line-out; Rear
speaker-out; Side speaker-out; Center (subwoofer); VGA-out (Back)
Mouse and Keyboard • HP optical mouse
• HP multimedia keyboard

In direct answer to your question, yes... damage from static is a possibility.

I would strongly suggest that you start with Memtest. This will help determine the answer to your question.

Please follow this guide... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Please note that (unless you start getting errors reported) you will need to let this run a long time.
A good way of doing this is to let it run over night. In each 'pass" there are a series of eight memory tests that are run, each more complicated than the previous. You need to let it run a minimum of 7 passes, unless you start getting errors. If you have errors reported, you may want to re-run the test with only one stick of ram installed, checked each stick until you isolate those that are faulty. That way you can limit your replacement to those that actually need it.

Let us know the results. If your memory comes up without errors, then we can check other things.

I see what you are saying but, I dont get any type of screen at all. In other words, my screen is blank. The computer is just not booting up. The cooling fan is running and the lights are on but, the screen is black. I get nothing. I used other screens and the same thing. I am using my wifes netbook to post this and have hooked up my monitor to it so I have a larger screen. So I know my monitor is working.

If the RAM is bad, would that cause the system not to boot up?

I dont get a prompt or F key prompt. Not even a blue screen.

May I assume you have double and triple checked all internal connections AND your external connections?

If the RAM is bad, would that cause the system not to boot up?
It could, though usually you would get something... like a beep code... as it tried to boot.

Still, try removing all ram from the system, and while you are in there, again check all connections.
Then, with the ram removed, try to start the system.
Hopefully this will generate some beep codes at least.

If the RAM was damaged badly enough, it could have resulted in a short, which may have damaged the main board.
I would like to help you prove or disprove that possibility.

Also... the way some boards are made/installed, and the way some heat-sinks are made, it is sometimes possible to use "excessive force" accidentally in the process of reattaching. If your MoBo flexes as you manipulate the heat-sink this is a greater danger, and could be another source of motherboard damage.

Thank you bookwyrm for your help and support. The issue has been resolved and I am currently using my computer as I type.

I did as suggested and pulled each memory stick out and then placed one stick in at a time to see what would happen.

As I started my system with one stick at a time, the system would start up. I came to the conclusion after testing all four memory sticks in the first slot that there may still be dust or debris still built up after I had cleaned my computer. So after pulling all memory sticks out, I pulled out my trusty can of air and did a complete spray clean off all slots. After that I reinstalled all four sticks and my computer started right up.

So, I realized that after cleaning my system initially that I may have missed a couple of areas. Went back, fixed the problem after recleaning and I am back and running. I even pulled my first two 1Gb memory sticks out and replaced them with 2Gb sticks. So now I am running on 6Gb's of memory instead of 4.

So the problem has been resolved. But I dont think this is the last you guys will see of me. I may stick around awhile and pass the help on to others.

Thanks again.

Back