Computer infected even after formating

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumbleB

Hello,

Here is my problem:

1. Whenever I click on a folder to open it, instead of being able to navigate within the same window, a completely new window opens. When I tried to verify the settings in the "Folder Option" of the Tool menu in any window, the "Folder Option" has disappeared and there is only "Map Network Drive...", "Disconnect Network Drive...", "Synchronize" left.

2. When I try to open "Task manager" from the Task Bar menu, I cannot access it (greyed out).

When these problems started, I decided to format my Windows partition. I have two hard drives: one with two partitions (windows and my files) and the other one contains three partitions (my files once again). However, the same problem happens again within the hour after formatting my computer. I formated numerous times to the same results.

I am assuming that it is a virus that is within one of my partitions, but am not sure how to proceed.

I followed the advice I found online related to a similar problem whereas I should check the registry. Yet, when I try to run regedit from Start menu/Run, it states that I need to be the administrator to access the registry. I am the administrator and it still does not let me access it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BumbleB

You don't even know how much I'm happy to receive some help.
I'll follow you instructions and keep you in touch.

Thank you very much

BumbleB

It won't address the root issue. It's pointless resetting policies if the infection is just going to turn around and trash them again.

Are you installing from a CD/DVD? Or a restore partition? It sounds like you have a boot virus which none of those tools are going to find.

Have you deleted the partition and recreated/reformatted it? Are you just using the factory restore off the hard drive? Does this problem occur immediately after a fresh install, or do you install any programs from your collection?

if you have secondary drives that are not formatted, then it is possible you can get reinfected with contaminated files from those other drives. I suggest a complete wipe since you have already formatted your primary drive. If you are not comfortable with that, physically isolate those drives until either the problem is corrected or the offending viri are found.

install avast 8 professional..........................and can your computer at boot time..................u computer will be free of virus................and for the other problems visit the link in my signature...........

adweston: I am using a CD to reinstall Windows, the problem occur immediately after formatting the Windows partition.

I have one 160GB and one 400GB. Windows is installed on the 160GB Hard drive, on a 50GB partition. I could send to my 400GB the remaining files of the 160GB Hard drive, then physically disconnect the 400GB Hard drive. Then, I would format entirely the 160GB. Finally, I would installed a fresh copy of avast or some other free anti-virus, and reconnect my other drive. BUT, my main concern is: Will the anti-virus be able to catch up the infection when I will reconnect it? Also, is there an other sequence of action to do in order to clean the 160GB and reconnect the 400GB without reinfecting the 160GB

Thanks for all your help

'the problem occur immediately after formatting the Windows partition.'

Would this be 'immediately after loading and booting to the operating system'.

Hard to believe the things you described happen before you actually get into Windows.

adweston: I am using a CD to reinstall Windows, the problem occur immediately after formatting the Windows partition.

I have one 160GB and one 400GB. Windows is installed on the 160GB Hard drive, on a 50GB partition. I could send to my 400GB the remaining files of the 160GB Hard drive, then physically disconnect the 400GB Hard drive. Then, I would format entirely the 160GB. Finally, I would installed a fresh copy of avast or some other free anti-virus, and reconnect my other drive. BUT, my main concern is: Will the anti-virus be able to catch up the infection when I will reconnect it? Also, is there an other sequence of action to do in order to clean the 160GB and reconnect the 400GB without reinfecting the 160GB

Thanks for all your help

Try mine.........it will work 100% its a guarantee of ALL PC TIPS

CCT,

I apologize for the confusion, I meant after getting into windows.
But even before installing any other programs.

When you install Windows off a CD, make sure you delete the partition before you format and install a fresh copy of Windows. See if that resolves the issue.

be sure to disconnect from the internet while working on this problem and leave
it disconnected until
  1. your partition/reformatting is done
  2. your install is complete
  3. your Firewall is activated
  4. and your A/V program is activated
then reboot (still disconnected) and be sure everything is ok before you
attempt to go surfing again.

OTHERWISE, you can get reinfected before you get "Shields Up Scotty!"

Hi,

Again, thanks to everybody for your help

Finally, I did the following:

- I used a bootable disk with a software on it called "Darik's boot and Nuke v.1.0.6" to completely deleted my 160GB hardrive (the one that had Windows XP).
-Then I installed Windows XP
-I installed the updates of Windows
-I installed avast and scanned the computer (didn't find anything)
-I was then ready to replug the other "most probably infected drive" (the 400GB)
-I plugged it
-I boot the computer in safe mode
-I scanned to hole computer again with avast
-Some files has been deleted by avast
-Then I reboot in normal mode

And now, everything seems to be OK, EXCEPT:
I can't see the files in the 400GB.

I know that the 400GB still contains my files because I can it see in the properties.

Any ideas what to do for that?

Many Thanks

You need to follow the advice of the real experts in this thread. You should not be running windows updates prior to installing a Firewall and Antivirus. You should not be connecting to the internet until you have a Firewall and Antivirus.

In fact, if you are connected to a router, I would preform a hard reset on it, then follow the good advice from this thread, which I will outliine for you below.

Run the scans on both drives -

be sure to disconnect from the internet while working on this problem and leave
it disconnected until
  1. your partition/reformatting is done
  2. your install is complete
  3. your Firewall is activated
  4. and your A/V program is activated
then reboot (still disconnected) and be sure everything is ok before you
attempt to go surfing again.

OTHERWISE, you can get reinfected before you get "Shields Up Scotty!"

Download RatsCheddar

It contains a program written by Rathat, and it is a Policy Controller.
Save and extract this program to the desktop.
Once extracted, Double click on the RatsCheddar.exe file.
Enable everything, then click Exit
Reboot your Computer.

Then proceed to:

UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Thank you.

That's policy now for me to make sure you follow the preliminary removal instructions that I wrote, before I can give further advice on what the problem is.

Right now I need more information - these 2 logs should provide that

DDS

Please download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Vista users. Right click on dds and select Run as administrator (you will receive a UAC prompt, please allow it)

• Double click on dds to run it.
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • You will receive another prompt after a while. Click Yes at the prompt. It will take another few minutes to scan.
  • When done, Attach.txt will open.
  • Please Zip and Attach DDS.txt and Attach.txt in your next reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back