Computer is slow at startup, wonder if there is any malware/virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chivas

Like title says, my laptop takes 8~12 minutes to start up. I mean, it enters Windows, but it keeps loading programs and whatnot, so, it remains slow at startup, after several minutes have passed and then it works properly.

I think that there may be malware/viruses in it, but then again, I do not have any major problems with the computer. No random pop-ups, no strange behavior, etc... still, I wanted to be sure and followed the steps mentioned in the 8 steps (now 6) for Preliminary Malware Removal. During this process I did have some problems:

1.- The GMER program would make the computer crash while giving me the BSOD. So, I had to run it in Safe Mode.
2.- The DDS program didn't work properly in Normal Mode. It just opened a Notepad file with lots of strange characters. So, I did have to run it in Safe Mode as well.

Here are the results:

Malware Bytes' log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4052

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

7/20/2010 11:04:29 AM
mbam-log-2010-07-20 (11-04-29).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 199265
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 3 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I just changed the copy & paste of the logs and instead attached them to the post, so it could be easier to read.

Every once in a while, a thread will be missed. But allow me to explain how this happened to you:
When we look at the page of threads, we see the number of replies, showing that last post day. You made 7 posts a week ago. Instead of putting the logs together in one post, you made a new reply for each, please 3 more entries for comments.

So when we look down the page, we see your thread showing 7 replies. We don't have enough time to open every log to make sure it's been handled, but seeing 7 replies would indicate that the thread was being handled by one of us. We would only see all of the posts were your own if we stopped and opened the thread.

So- if you ever need help on a forum, ours or others, keep this in mind and try to give your initial information in the first post or possibly one followup with all of the logs together.

I did check the logs and do not seen any malware entries. However, I would have you run 2 additional programs to check.

I looked at the Event Errors in the log and saw this several times:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Did you find a faulty router by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back