Computer issues-power surge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

There was a power surge a couple of days ago. I wasn't here when it happened but according to my wife my computer was turned off. So last night I tried to turn my computer on. At first it would turn on for a few seconds then turn back off and then come back on but nothing shows on the monitor screen. Then I disconnected the plug from the computer and reconnected. It then started to beep multiple times but nothing shows up on the screen still. Once again I restarted the computer and I recieved no beeping but once againg nothing shows up on the screen. What could the problem be? Can it be the power supply? Can it be the graphics card? Or worst the mobo? Yes I did have it connected to the surge protector. Its not a name brand computer. It is one that I built last year and never had any issues after a power surge. The mobo is an Asus.

Thanks

Hi tru009!

If multiple beeps are heard at start up, write down the sequence of them (example: 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps indicates it is an Display card error while multiple short beeps indicates it is a power supply/mother board/keyboard error)

If no audible noise is heard at start up, does anything at all display on screen? If not, do you have any other compatible graphic cards you can connect to this computer as a test?

Hope this helps.

When there is a power surge, it could be a multitude of things. If it were multiple beeps and they didn't stop, it could be the memory. Start small when you troubleshoot. As Placebos mentioned, try a graphics card. If that does not work, try a stick of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back