Computer keeps crashing - what to do?

purplesky

Hi,

I have a HP Compaq 6720s notebook which won't stop crashing (Windows Vista Home Edition). Every single time I start it up and try to do anything it crashes. Most of the time I can't even get to the internet because it freezes and won't let me.I can't do a virus scan or anything because I can't get that far before it freezes and after that I can't even start task manager or anything to get it to turn off - I have to press the power button. Sometimes after doing this and restarting it, it says it has to check some of my disks for consistency while starting up but even after letting it do this there is no improvement. I'm at loss as to what is wrong with it. It had been crashing a little more than usual but not too often then suddenly it happened while I was surfing the web and now it won't stop. I've had to use a different computer just to post this...

If you need any other info about the laptop just ask...I'd really appreciate some help with this but I'm not a really tech-savvy type so I'm not really sure where to start.

Many thanks :)

The Duo Core is your central prcocessing unit, not your harddrive. We need to know the make of your harddrive.

How old is this laptop?

If you can get to the internet here is what I want you to do. Search for a nifty little utility that is free and quite safe called SIW. Install it to your desktop and then click it on. A screen will come up divided in two. The left screen is much smaller and it gives a list of many choices.

Find the Hardware icon and click that on. Then scroll down until you find the Storage Devices icon and click that on. To the right in the big screen it will list your dvices. The top one should be your harddrive. Look for manufacture and the name given for your manufacture of your harddrive to the right.

We need that name.

Okay thanks and sorry it took me this long to get it. I hope this is right - it says the manufacturer is seagate.

Do you need any more information?

Go to Seagate's website and find their free harddrive diagnostic utility called Seatools.

Burn it to a CD and place it in the CD/DVD drive, reboot and test will almost immediately take over; it does not need to load Windows.

Run the SMART, Short DST, and especially the Long DST tests. This will take time but well worth it.

Back