Computer keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, over the last few months my computer keeps randomly crashing and freezing. When it crashes it goes to a blue screen where I get various different error codes. Although, the last few times it has crashed the error code has been 0x0000004E with the message being PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.

I would appreciate any help on what could be causing this problem. Thanks.

That particular error is a very strong indication of corrupted memory. So the first step `is to run memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test.

* Let us know what your results are.

That particular error is a very strong indication of corrupted memory. So the first step `is to run memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test.

* Let us know what your results are.
Oh, I usually just say go here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post653029-21.html

I've ran memtest and it found 2 errors on the second stick of RAM, so it looks like I need a new one and hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks again for your help.

I've been looking on the internet as to which memory stick I need but I'm a bit confused, so would be grateful for any help.
My PC is an Acer Aspire T180-UB7Z and the memory I currently have is 512mb PC2-4200U-444-12.
One website I have looked on says I need a 240 Pin DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz whereas another one says 240 Pin 1.8v DDR2 PC2-4200 Non-ECC Dimm. Does anyone know which one I need?
Also, do I need to buy one or two memory sticks as some websites say I should buy two in order to get a matched pair.
Thanks for your help.

lemon09, for future consideration please start your own thread. You'll find you will get help much quicker and it won't hijack someone else's. :)

Go to www.crucial.com and let them scan your computer for memory upgrades. This is perfectly safe and free. Many builders use this to get the information you are asking for.

When the scan is complete it will a) tell you how much RAM you have now, b) how much maximum RAM you can install, and c) the type of RAM you can use.

Write this information down. You don't have to buy from Crucial. Then go to NewEgg.com and find the RAM you need. You'll most likely find even Crucial RAM cheaper there as well! (I've used Crucial for two laptop upgrades and it works great; but there are many other good brands as well)

If you got XP run with 2 gigs. You don't have to but your system will run faster than with your current 512 mbs. If you have Vista definitly have 2 gigs. Vista loves RAM.

If you gcan get the memory in a 2x1 gig pack do so, but if not two 1 gig sticks bought separately will work just as long as they as the same. I had to do the latter with an old Tecra S1 laptop using Kingston brand and not a problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back