Computer keeps freezing after a few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fan1bsb97

Hi, I'm having a lot of computer trouble right now and could use some help.

A couple days ago I was watching a video on my computer and all of a sudden it froze, replaying the last second of the sound over and over again. I could move the mouse around but couldn't click anything. I had to manually restart the computer.

This has continued happening, and while trying to fix my problem I must have done something wrong because firefox stopped working, and IE closes as soon as I open it (about half the time). I managed to get firefox up and running again, but the freezing continues.

I have done system restore, a memory check (I think that's what it's called), chk disk, registry mechanic twice, malwarebytes (on my second scan now), and virus scans (more than one with different programs - mcafee and trend micro).

It's weird what keeps happening. Sometimes it happens when a video is playing, sometimes it does it for no reason. I let a video run last night to see how long it would last and it had no problems. When I played a few others it froze after a few minutes.

This is driving me crazy because it doesn't seem to have to do with any one particular thing. I tried to open a zip file and it froze. I'll open firefox and it will freeze. I'll try and watch something, and it does the same thing.

Also, control alt delete doesn't work. At first when I did it t he little green box would show up on the taskbar but it never actually showed up.

Right now the scans are running in safe mode.

I have windows xp.

Please help me!

Being able to run in Safe Mode is a solid sign that the issue is most likely with a device driver.

As for the registry "fixes" we here at TechSpot tell everyone to avoid using them because they cause more harm than good.

Have you tried a Windows Repair?

No how do you do that?

I forgot to mention that I also had the blue screen show up last night that said IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Let's first do this (if you can).

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Right now I'm having a new problem. Before I read your response I tried windows verifier or something to see if a device driver had an error and when I tried to reset that setting and restart the computer again it just stayed on the screen "Saving your settings" forever and never restarted. I restarted it manually but now when windows loads up there's no task bar and no programs will open (though they're listed in processes as being open).

EDIT - that was fixed by doing it in safe mode.

First, go back to a a system restore point. Then update your McAfee because the McAfee driver mfehidk.sys was cited as the cause of your crashes.

By the way, there are much better security solutions than McAfee.

Thank you! I tried system restore to two weeks ago but the problem still occurred. I guess I should go back further? How do I update mcafee to get rid of that?

There should be an Update button (or arrow) that will update your McAfee software (I'm not talking virus updates, but software updates).

Thanks. I will try that as soon as system restore finishes. It is taking forever lol.

Keep us updated and if you want we can guide you to excellent free antivirus, antispyware, and firewalls if you want. Plus they don't take up nearly the system resources.

Ok now I have massive problems. System restore didn't work so I tried another one which appeared to have froze, so I restarted the comp. Now I get a blue screen when I try to boot up that says system_license_violation because the system32 file was deleted in the process or something. How do I run the windows repair? I got there, but I don't know what to type in the command prompt C:/windows

I'm doing the repair (i pressed enter) but it doesn't give me the screen all these websites say i should see. Instead it says The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer. should i select partition 2 (the one that already has xp on it?)

Please help...I feel like I'm about to throw up.

When it shows the partitions it shows them as having space so I know my stuff isn't gone. I tried the Repair first before you posted so maybe I screwed something up there? I will never be able to go to sleep.

I plugged in my external harddrive and selected to install xp on that. I don't care if I have to reinstall completely, I just need to copy all my files. Will that work?

Also in "repair" it no longer asks for a password. wtf did I do? I followed directions exactly.

Can I install it on the same partition as the original copy?

Do you have a friend with some tech knowledge? if so, this is what you do:

First, remove your harddrive.

Second, slave your drive into his/her system and access your harddrive via said system. Many people do this in order to a) access and transfer their information and b) run full harddrive diagnostics. many people report success.

* It sounds like your harddrive is in need of a full reformat OR it has physical issues like bad sectors. A diagnosis will help.

* Did you access partition 2 that has XP?

Can I install another copy of XP onto the partition 2 (that already has it) just to copy my files and then just reinstall everything?

Can I install another copy of XP onto the partition 2 (that already has it) just to copy my files and then just reinstall everything?

I'm not sure and since I don't know for certain I would not want to tell you otherwise.

Look, I know this doesn't look hopeful from your perspective right now but there are still solid steps you can take to try to rectify this issue. I already gave you one with slaving the drive.

There are others here and I'll see if i can get one or two here to look in on this thread who have a lot more experience than I have with these matters. I need to go to bed as it is 1:15 in the morning here on the East Coast.

I am tied up tomorrow so I won't be able to answer you until possibly mid-afternoon. Maybe someone will jump in anyway.

Thanks for your help. I decided to install another copy of windows and it's doing that right now.
I'm also exhausted...I'm on the East Coast too lol. Gotta get up at 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back