Computer keeps shutting down (Windows XP)

Hi all,

I'm having this problem with my desktop, whenever I play a game, or watch a video from any websites, or when I try to convert videos my PC automatically shuts down and won't turn on unless I turn of the power regulator and turn it on again after a few seconds. sometimes it also shuts down even if xp has just finished it's boot process or even before xp itself reboots. I tried to clean the hardware with a brush in case it's just some dirt issue, it seems to have helped since the pc stops shutting down during the boot process.. however, when I try to play games or watch videos online or convert videos (as I've said before).. after a few seconds, or sometimes after a couple of minutes, it still shuts down automatically... can anyone please help it's starting to become quite annoying..

Thanks! :)

How old is this XP computer? Is XP fully updated to Service Pack 3 and beyond? This could be caused by a dying power supply

Hi Tmagic650,

4-6 years, I'm only using service pack 2. I was starting to think of the same thing since sometimes I can't even open it, the lights just blink for a while not even a second and it won't turn on. If I am to change my power supply are there still compatibility issues? or any power supply will do?

Any quality ATX power supply of 350 watts or better will do. Update to Service Pack 3 and some 120 plus more updates are needed, when you get this old beast running again...

Back