Computer might be infected and now can't connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladythomp

I have a laptop computer and my Norton said Trojan.html and trojan.spm/lx was on my computer. Norton said it removed it, but at the bottom where the clock is a big red circle X button kept popping up saying click here windows will download the best anti spyware. Well I ran Norton again and the Ad-Aware. Finally somehow the red circle was gone, but then when I tried to connect to the interent it is now saying that there is an Error. Something else is running or something. I have a Sprint Wireless card. Also, when I try to change my desktop background back to what I had before this virus/spyware came it won't let me select a background. I have no clue what to do-please help!!

Is Norton 360 running and is it updating properly? You may have a rootkit infection too. Go to Symantec and see if you can find a rootkit remover, and more help from there

Ok I ran a quick scan on malware. Here is what it says.

Attachments

• mbam-log-2009-08-16 (15-52-14).txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 5
Yes Norton is running and updating. I couldn't find anything with rootkit like when I ran the norton scan either! Norton did pop up again and said it found W32.Sillyfoc on it and I had to restart the computer again.

Just a note, I noticed your MalwareBytes scan shows "no action taken" on its findings.
I would recommend rerunning and select all issues to remove them.
One more thing, I wouldn't run the quick scan, a deep scan will do a better job, since it did find quite a bit. ;)

Yes, I agree... ladythomp run the deep scan and delete all entries found. You might want to turn off System Restore first. Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced and uncheck any checked boxes found in System Restore. After you run a clean scan, turn back on System Restore once again

You might want to turn off System Restore first.

Tmagic, please explain this theory. If you were to leave the restore points alone, and one, (maybe several) were to be infected, the only way it would harm the PC is if they were to be used right? The only problem is, if something were to go wrong and you need a restore point, there aren't any to fall back to (if you were to turn it off).
The bad thing with me I guess is that I have always had security software and was never faced with anything bad.
It's a terrible way to learn if you never have any bad experiences to learn from :(

OK Norton just got done scanning and found nothing.....but now i have the background back on my computer which went to black after the computer was infected. I can go in to the Display now and change it as to where I was not able to earlier!! Wow.... So did I get rid of whatever was on the computer/ the virus or whatever?

It's quite possible your problem may be fixed, you'll have to wait for an official word from one of the pros.
I would probably suggest putting any secure browsing on hold uniil then;)

Tmagic, please explain this theory. If you were to leave the restore points alone, and one, (maybe several) were to be infected, the only way it would harm the PC is if they were to be used right? The only problem is, if something were to go wrong and you need a restore point, there aren't any to fall back to (if you were to turn it off).
The bad thing with me I guess is that I have always had security software and was never faced with anything bad.
It's a terrible way to learn if you never have any bad experiences to learn from :(

Turning off Windows Restore Points deletes all the old points. I only suggest doing this in certain cases of malware infections. There are members here that say "never turn off Restore Points"... I have learned from first hand experience that some malware are "hidden" in infected Restore Points and it is returned to active state on a restart or startup. After deleting and turning back on Restore Points, the malware is gone

Never turn them off until you are sure they are clean.

That way if something falls down on you, you have a place to fall back on. If you wipe the restore points straight off the bat then all you would be left with is an unbootable paperwight.

Wiping the old restore points should be the very LAST thing that you do.

I have said this before, the infections in restore points can do NO harm unless they are used.

"Never turn them off until you are sure they are clean"...

This makes no sense, it should be the other way around... "Never turn them back on until you are sure they are clean". My Vista and Windows 7 makes a new restore point every time a program or Windows Update is installed. This means I have 50 to 100 restore points on my computer right now. I'd like to use that hard drive space for something more important to me

This makes no sense, it should be the other way around... "Never turn them back on until you are sure they are clean". My Vista and Windows 7 makes a new restore point every time a program or Windows Update is installed. This means I have 50 to 100 restore points on my computer right now. I'd like to use that hard drive space for something more important to me

I'll let you keep thinking that then, have fun "cleaning" these computers.

By the way, there are more tools available than "turn off system restore"

It hard to believe that as much time and effort that we've spent explaining to Tmagic why you do not turn off the system restore points before cleaning and the only thing that accomplishes, since he still persists, one has to wonder if this is the only 'help' he knows!

I had a vundo trojan virus infection that was "removed" and kept coming back after a startup or restart until I turned off (deleted) the restore points and cleaned for the last time... The virus never returned. I have told many of my customers to do this and they were finally clean and happy. I told them to re-enable Restore Points after cleaning... No matter what you guys say, this will always be one of the things I do. I have not used the Restore feature in Windows in years. None the less, it is still active on my system

Yes Blind Dragon,
I wonder that too. With my experience, both in XP as well as Vista, a restore point must be loading on startup or with a restart... Others here say NO

They create a restore point to record the state of Windows at a given point in time. Then you can carry out a potentially risky operation (ie removing a virus that has corrupted system files). If anything goes wrong, you can return Windows to the state it was in when you created the system restore point.

I wont argue that... but it's better than nothing.

Ideally users should have either a windows disk or a recovery disk ahead of time just in case.

Computer seems to be fine now!! You guys Rock!! Thanks so much for your help! If I ever need further help I know where to find it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back