Computer no longer burning viewable video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimsbury

Hi there,

I recently had an issue with my PC where I was getting BSOD's and lots of headaches! Thanks to Route 44, we managed to work out what the problem was, but not before I had done various things to the PC in an attempt to get it to work. The original thread is here https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=724526#post724526 (I hope I'm allowed to post links - please delete and accept my apologies if not).

The PC is now working fine, however, now whenever I burn a video file, whether it be a data .avi file or a wmv, the file on the disc plays with perfect audio, but a very pixilated image, which turns what's on the screen into a negative, or in some cases, just freezes.

I'm using the same burning software as before (Nero 6,6,1,15) with the same DVD burners (1 x HP DVD Writer 940d 3H23 and 1 x Sony DVD-Rw AW-G170a 1.71), the same operating system (Windows XP) and the same DVD's and CD-Rs (sony), but the issue is still occurring. I did not have this issue before and had been burning avi files happily for many moons!

I've tried updating the nero drivers, but had the most up to date version anyway (for my serial number). I've tried different discs, burning at slower speeds, making original avi files, but nothing seems to be making a difference. I've even had the side off the machine and made sure all the plugs are connecting a to b correctly.

Has anyone had a similar problem? The files on my computer play perfectly, it's only when I burn them to a disc and try to play them on either the PC or on my divx player that they go wrong. I have tried to attach a clip of the original file and then a clip from the burnt dvd as zip files to give you an example of the quality difference but the files are too large to upload.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance for your help

Hi again,

we've tried to do some detective work ourselves and changed the cable to the cd burners... it didn't work

We tried burning onto a different burner, but still, playback is pixilated and unviewable

We tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nero... it didn't work

We tried uninstalling nero and installing CDburnerXP... it didn't work.

I'm all out of things to try now. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Happy to run checks etc and post them if anyone is willing to take a look for us

Please help!:confused:

Many thanks

I may have missed this, but how old are your burners? It sounds like you need new ones. The average is 3-5 years, but I know people who have had them last longer.

Hi Route,

The burners are both about 18 months old. We even tried a 3rd to see if that would make a difference but it didn't.

Can burn audio discs no probs, just the video ones that aren't working :eek:(

Do you get pixalating while doing other things? I am not so sure the problem is with burners/software but more possibly video card. How old is your video card? Have you updated its drivers?

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro (free version) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Has this helped?

Interesting point that Route44 made. Have you tried playing the burned DVDs in another computer?

Hi Guys - many apologies, I've been away for a day. Thanks for getting back to me.

I've tried playing dvd's burned on the players before these shenanigans started, and they play fine, so there is obviously an issue with the burning and not the playback.

I've tried the recently burned discs in my work laptop and on our dvd/divx player, and the quality is still bad.

I'll try reinstalling the drivers for the video card next and let you know how I get on.

Interestingly, whenever I play a video file in Windows Media, after about 30 seconds, I get an error message which when you click on it, shuts down windows media. When you start it up again, it's fine and will play the file all the way through without a hitch. Not sure if this is connected at all. Will find out soon...!

Thanks again for helping me out

Hi Guys,

Tried what you suggested Route but there's still no change... :(

Okay, just for clarification and correct as needed :D:

1. Regardless of what burner you use audio burns come out fine but video/avi do not.

2. CDs/DVDs burned from these burners do not play well on other DVD drives.

3. What was the error or errors you have received when trying to utilize WMP?

Okay, just for clarification and correct as needed :D:

1. Regardless of what burner you use audio burns come out fine but video/avi do not.

2. CDs/DVDs burned from these burners do not play well on other DVD drives.

3. What was the error or errors you have received when trying to utilize WMP?

1 - yes, same issue no matter disc drive I use to burn
2 - yes, the quality once burned on the disc is poor no matter which media playback I use (PC drives, DVD player etc)
3 - I get a debug option when I first open WMP. Once I click either debug or close, the issue goes away until the I restart the machine.

Thanks Route ;)

Hi Route - Sorry, I was replying from work. Home now. The message comes up after about a minute of playback and says:

"Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost" etc.

When you click on view details it says:
Error Signature
AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 11.0.5721.5145 ModName: indiv01.key
ModVer: 11.0.6000.6324 Offset: 000ffda1

And then goes on to say about reporting the details. I can view technical information about the error but I can not copy it to paste it.

I can move the error message to one side of the screen and the file will still play. As soon as I debug or send error report, WMP will shut down.

Is this of any use?

What version are you running? Is it 11? I wonder if there is a hotfix avaliable. Plus, have you installed SP3 or .NETframework 3.5?

Also, I meant to say this erlier, but Nero 6 is a very good version as opposed to later releases so I don't believe that is your issue. I am still suspect concerning your burners.

Update

Something else worth looking into what version of Nero 6 are you using? version 6.6.1.15 is considered the most stable version of Nero 6. If you uninstall Nero, which I believe you did, make sure you run the Nero clean tool before you put version 6.6.1.15 on if your not running that version already. Get the clean tool from nero's website make sure you get the clean tool for Nero 6 not 7,8, etc.

Hi Route,

That was the version of Nero we were using. There must be a setting somewhere that we've missed.

I tried to PM you back but I haven't posted enough. I get confused with the rules and stuff so don't know if I can reply here or not?

Going back to the original problem...
What version are you running? Is it 11? I wonder if there is a hotfix avaliable. Plus, have you installed SP3 or .NETframework 3.5?

I've just downloaded the latest mircosoft updates so have latest "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86". This seems to have got rid of the WMP (latest version) error message, but not the quality issue of burned avi data files.

I have bald patches where I'm tearing my hair out! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back