Computer not starting

Well, the other day, I wake up, click the power button on the PC, and nothing happens. I check all of the physical stuff, and it checks out. Green light on the motherboard. I take it apart, and get to messing with it. I take off the heat sing, reseat the CPU, clean off dust(which was VERY damp, almost like mud). All of a sudden, the fan kicks on and I get the orange light on the front (CPU error. I reseat it, and the PC is now working.

Same thing happened this morning, I did the same thing, and the PC was working again.

Backtrack to a coupe days ago. I took the carpet out of this room, and scrubbed the floor in here. This is a basement, so it is normally damp as is. I usually have a de-humidifier going, but I had to take it out. It has been very humid in the basement, the past few days, and I am wondering if that's what is causing my PC not to start. It seems to start once I have aired/dried it out some. I now have the de-humidifer on duty again,so the problem shouldn't happen.

What do you guys think? Was it the dampness, or another problem?

Thanks for reading my text wall.

Hey Aaro,
Believe it or not, halfway through your post I thought condensation, or the Thermal compound was superfluous and leaking onto the motherboard. To bad i cant get paid for hindsight ey?
glad its working again. :)

Rev Up the Dehumidifier............

Did you guys ever notice the "operating range with respect to humidity listings". They're always very specific in saying, "non-condensing". Some basements kinda do that a lot, allow water to condense out of the air. (At least in my neck of the slums).

Dust is instrumental in attracting and retaining water anyway. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (Vague analogous pun intended).

Did you guys ever notice the "operating range with respect to humidity listings". They're always very specific in saying, "non-condensing". Some basements kinda do that a lot, allow water to condense out of the air. (At least in my neck of the slums).

Dust is instrumental in attracting and retaining water anyway. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (Vague referential pun intended).

We had that problem here today Cap, it was 95F and the dew point was 81F, I about condensed down to 150 lbs.

Phew, tell me about it. We had 3 inches of rain here in about 24 hours. I wimped out last night and fired up the air conditioning just to dry the air, not to cool it. There there were the 102 and 103 degree days back to back last week. I actually had a CPU trigger a 60 c warning buzzer.
We had that problem here today Cap, it was 95F and the dew point was 81F, I about condensed down to 150 lbs.
That being said, I wish I could condense back to about 165. It's so way not as easy as it used to be...!

Back