Computer not working

User365

A few weeks ago I asked about my computer, the monitor wasn’t connecting, and neither were the usb devices. I got a new power supply, and it seemed it had fixed the problem, but after 4 days the same problem occurred again.

I know it's a pain but it will be easier if you list all the components you have there so we know what we are dealing with.

The fact that you say "The Monitor isn't connecting" makes the 2nd problem moot. You don't need a USB to connect if you can't see the monitor right? =)

I know it's a pain but it will be easier if you list all the components you have there so we know what we are dealing with.

The fact that you say "The Monitor isn't connecting" makes the 2nd problem moot. You don't need a USB to connect if you can't see the monitor right? =)
I got the computer as I gift, I don’t know the exact specification, I will try to find the computer model, and the list of parts.

You can cheat a little..Just Google for Belarc. Grab that and run it and it gives you a full report. =)
Okay I’ll check that out, the computer monitor connects inconsistently, so it may take a while to get it on the desktop.

Oh shoot yah...that fast ..I forgot ...screen issues. Usually a screen has many different types of connectors. I have the advantage here with many screens and many cables/connectors. At least that is an angle you can work from. I have seen the most problems with Displayport and HDMI ...both of those are the newest connectors. In both cases the black screen issues have been fixed with a different displayport cable (The cheap cables have a problem) or a newer HDMI type monitor (incompatibility?). A few times I solved the black screen issue by finding the controls on the screen and forcing it to connect to HDMI (sometimes they spend all their time looking on VGA or DVI).

My monitor has DisplayPort and HDMI, I have an old monitor but it can’t connect to this computer, it is to old. I’ll try forcing it to use DisplayPort, which is the one I use(the problem occurs with HDMI too), but as I said earlier USB devices won’t connect either, I’ll probably just have to wait and get lucky to use Belarc. Every now and then everything works fine.

When you "Get Lucky" does the monitor just come on by itself or do you mean ...repeated attempts of trying to boot and once in a while it boots and the screen comes on and it is fine?

The monitor just comes on by itself, if it doesn’t work I don’t try again for at least a day.

When the monitor isn't working, have you tired finding the controls on the monitor that deal with 'Input Select'? It's worth a shot! =)

Until I get the problem fixed, if I get the computer on I’m gonna put it in sleep mode instead of shutting it down when I finish.

Oh, I found this recently too, when I turn on the computer and things don’t connect, the hard drive light doesn’t turn on either.

I have seen slow response to USB when the PSU is inadequate or the CPU is overloaded (think super old computer). I have seen hard drive lights not work when the are not hooked up are not wired correctly. Has the HDD light worked before?

I have recently got a new power supply so it should be accurate. The HDD light has worked before, intermittently, just like the monitor. The computer is 5 years old, but it wasn’t used many times in those 5 years, and it works perfectly fine when it does work.

He probably means someone who has a IT shop in your area. I am sure you have thought of that already. =)

Back