Computer powering up, but not starting after harware install..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi forum goers,

I'm having an infuriating time with my desktop PC. I tried to install some new RAM and a new second harddrive, got everything plugged in, and the computer wouldn't boot. So I backtracked, replaced the RAM, replaced the hard drive, and the computer still won't boot! The power turns on, with the fans running, the drives spinning, the LEDs going, but the monitor can't find a connection. I've double checked all the connections, tried all combinations of new RAM and old with new hard drive and old, and have also tried with no second drive. The OS is on the primary drive. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?

Something that might be significant. When I unplug my monitor from my PC, it says "check display cable" but when my computer is off or when I try to turn it on now there is just a blinking green light in the front bottom.

Some Specs in case they're important:

Old RAM: 512MB
New RAM: 2x1GB
Video Card: Radeon 9800
Primary HD: 300GB IDE
Old secondary HD: 40GB IDE
New secondary HD: 500GB SATA 7200RPM

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Sorry for the typo in the heading!

Remove power cable (from computer)
Hold in the ON switch for 30 secs (dispersing all internal power)
Put the power cord back in
Turn on!

Reset the bios on the motherboard (jumper somewhere)

Also remove all externals except power (!) Video and keyboard
Also remove all not required internals HDD; CD; Floppy PCI cards

Edit:

No POST tutorial

Urgh! I just went through the whole no POST tutorial and nothing worked. It's kinda terrifying. But I don't know how to reset the bios- could you explain it or link it?

Each computer has its own unique way of resetting the bios, usually it is a matter of finding the jumper (near the cmos battery) pulling it out of pin1 and 2 and putting it in pin2 and 3 (ie a 3 pin connector, with a 2 pin jumper presently in it)

But you will need to download your manual from your motherboard support page, and search for reset cmos in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back