Computer randomly turning off (but is still on?)

Hello this is my first time here and I've no idea what's wrong, so here's my problem:

When I am playing a game (can be any game, or just browsing the internet) sometimes my computer will "turn off" for no reason.
What happens is it stops sending a signal to the monitor and all my applications stop working (music stops, skype stops) but the lights, fans and everything keep going.

After it does this I have to hold down my power button to turn it off and restart it.. It's really annoying and I do not know what is wrong with my PC. I got told it was my gfx drivers but I reinstalled them and a few days later it turned off again

Computer specs:
Mother/Mainboard: ASUStek P7H55-M/USB3
CPU: Intel core i3 550 @ 3.20 GHz
RAM: 1x2048MB DDR3
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Well usually it only happens when im playing one game (Counter-Strike:Source)

I can play any other game now (it only happens for that game now) on high/ultra.

So when you lower the video settings that game plays fine? If so, you may need a better video card

So when you lower the video settings that game plays fine? If so, you may need a better video card

What do you mean? If I lower the settings of CS:S?

I can ply other games on the best settings so why would lowering CS:S settings make the problem go away ?

Or am I reading what you said wrong

If you lower the settings of CS will it play properly? The 9600 is getting old. I ran one until about 2 months ago, then I upgraded to a GeForce 550TI. Have you tried updating the video cards drivers from here:

Yeah I have reinstalled the video card drivers alltogether three times and reinstalled/updated them and I still only get the problem with CS:S.

I will try lowering the settings but I don't think that will do much as the game is 6 years old but it might work, will post back with results.

Try this way :
Create shotcut for game laucher program "cstrike.exe" on your desktop->right click icon ->select properties ->find the target location
add "-width 800 -height 600 " at the end of location.
this way to fixed your game resolution at 800 x 600

eg:
"E:\Games\CS\cstrike.exe"
"E:\Games\CS\cstrike.exe" -width 800 -height 600

Back