Computer reboots, could it be the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my computer just started to freeze up, started in the morning and got worst through out the day till it would hang on the boot process some times. before memory check after memory check, during OS startup. at first sometimes I could get into the OS but it just got worse. till it would just reboot without warning .

thinks I've done so far:
replace the PSU
ran memtest86 with no errors after 10 passes and ran the windows memory test with on errors.
tried two different hard drives
removed every thing but one hard drive and keyboard.

current config it a hard drive /mother board/cpu /keyboard using the onboard video.

Mother board GF7050V-m7
CPU - Intel quad core
hard drive western- digital 750G
PSU- new black widow 450W (50W more then the old one.)

currently trying to reload vista, managed to reformat the hard drive but now during install it will reboot without warning. when starting back up it will start the install over again.
even dug out my old XP pro cd's and tried installing it. it would always lockup before completeing.

Could a bad mother board or CPU cause the lockups than the rebooting that I'm currently getting when tyring to install Vista

Not sure where to go from here, If I just need to order a new mother board or CPU. or both.

thanks
Mike

it sounds like your cpu is overheating, if you built the computer yourself then make sure the cpu heat-sink is installed right

There's a temperature probe on the heat sink the hottest Ive seen it get is about 120F. On the average it stays around 110F. It's bee running at that temp for about 6 months now.
when I start it up now the temp is around 86F to 90F and reboots long before it reaches 110F.

So I guess my question here is are these normal temps? I don't know. all the fans seem to be running fine and I cleaned the board off when this started happening it was a little dusty but not bad.

Clean the thermal paste off the CPU, and re-apply as thin as possible while still maintaining contact... there is a tendency to apply too much thermal paste..
Upgrade the memory to 2 GB or more of identical memory... not value ram.
Your problems are likely due to CPU cooling, video graphics card is getting old or misbehaving, CPU fan is worn out, hard drive is slow or old, and the memory is not up to the task...
Anything between 60C and 70C is normal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back