Computer restarting on its own driver_power_state_failure ntkrnlpa.exe+cd163

MMM717

Hello,

I've recently had a problem with my HP G70 laptop (Vista 32 bit based) restarting on its own. I didn't catch each occurrence as they were happening, but it seems to have sometimes been in conjunction with being awakened from sleep mode, but not necessarily.

Earlier, when "Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown" it didn't actually blue screen (I could still see my desktop), but I clicked "Check for solution", which on previous occurrences I hadn't done. That made a fix/update install for the "usbhub.sys". Great...

However, in running the program "BlueScreenView", one of my other crashes also resulted in a minidump file where I did not choose "Check for solution" - it is noted as being caused by driver "ntkrnlpa.exe". The bug check string states "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". I've attached the txt file noting the results from this program.

I did some digging online to try and diagnose/fix this, and came across this Hotfix from Microsoft:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...rnlpaexe/e671b55e-8cfc-41cf-a686-67524c2fe485

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977186

Should I download/use this to correct this issue? Could it possibly hurt instead of help?

Thanks in advance...

(I should add that I had to replace the original power supply/AC adapter this past May/June. I purchased the appropriate Anker brand model, instead of the HP original. I thought I'd note this, since I see "POWER" as part of the bug check string - I have no idea if it relates or not.)

Attachments

• BSV120412ntkrnlpa.exe+cd163.txt
    2 KB · Views: 0
I should add that the "Hotfix" noted from Microsoft is for "Windows 7". I'm not sure if that means Vista...

Two other items for now - first a question:

Could Internet Explorer (or a problem with it) have any influence on this? I ask because the problem seems to be occurring when it is open (though not always), and I don't think it has happened when it was not. Also, I had a hard time shutting down Internet Explorer moments ago. It is still IE7...

Also, I notice the left side of the body of the laptop is running a little warm, and I can hear the fan on.

Are you able to perform a factory restore by using the laptops own recovery options? "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" most likely has more to do with the laptops ability to come out of a sleep or hibernation state...

When the laptop first starts you should see something like "press F? for recovery options". If you have important files you should back them up now

So, what you're saying is, if I choose this, I'm going to lose data? I don't want to do anything that would cause that, since the computer is working currently.

I'm hoping to just cure whatever caused this in the first place, to prevent the problem from coming back again (and possibly do any harm).

The laptop is most likely over 3 years old now and it could benefit from a clean Windows install. If you do nothing, it will get worse and worse. You should really back up your important stuff regularly anyway

Before I do anything more drastic, is it possible that the fix that came from Microsoft to the "usbhub.sys" also fixed this problem from the previous day? Meaning, something was going wrong there to cause the "driver_power_state_failure", and now things are possibly OK? Any way to confirm?

I'm working on putting together a business, and have yet to trademark something related to it on the computer. Given that, I'm concerned about securely backing this stuff up online...

I don't know if any of this relates, but months ago I had some sort of infection issue (where I was hearing commercials playing in the background). Through the help of someone else nice enough on a computer forum, we fixed the problem.

That said, I wonder if one of the programs he asked me to install for protection, etc. is causing this problem. Would something like Super AntiSpyware do it? Possibly a firewall - Online Armor? To be sure, I just shut down Online Armor...

I'm also trying to better understand...what would a complete system re-install do to actually fix whatever this is? Couldn't it be diagnosed somehow, and then have the problem corrected?

I'm not happy with storing important files on-line either. It is cheap and easy to back up files on an external USB hard drive or even on a DVD or Blue-Ray disk.You really have to be careful, not to install too many protection programs. Especially 3rd party firewalls on Windows computers. Remove these firewalls and on-line Armor. Install free Microsoft Security Essentials and this temp file cleaner:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

I don't care for Vista at all. Windows 7 Professional is the way to go. Back up your files and upgrade to a "clean" install of Windows 7 Pro to be used with your new business

Back