Computer restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigworm82

I have a large problem...got a pc from my dad that is more than he needs for personal use.

he said it keeps restarting when getting into windows.

I tried a few things to make it work but can't figure it out...tried reinstalling windows xp but it restarts during setup too.

im ou of ideas...plus it has two 150gb raptor hds that I've unhooked right now causewont let wndows install on them for some reason.

the hard drive im using is a 500gb 7200rpm wd

specs:
koolance liquid cooled case
1200w power supply
2 150gb raptor 10000rpm hd
1 500 gb 7200rpm hd
2 768 nvidia graphics cards
no sure about motherboard but the cd is an asus striker cd

It may seem to you like you have given us a lot of information. But I'm going to push for more:

How much installed RAM is there?
What is being done when the system shuts down and reboots?
Is the processor from AMD?
Did he put SP3 on the system? If so, did problem start after that?

I'm looking partly for time line or pattern for the reboots.

4gb ram installed
it doesn't have a particular thing going on when it resets.
did it during setup for xp like 5 times but finally got through it.
was in windows like 5 min and it reset and the following like 10 secons and it reset.
its a quad core intel processor 3ghz.
im guessing its motherboard but how would I know..and it only has sp2 not 3

4GB of RAM is a lot for Windows XP. Please check the specs for the system and see what the maximum it will support is.

Eliminating the AMD and/or SP3 issues narrows it down. It wold be helpful if you access the Event Viewer and see if there are any Error corresponding to the time of the shutdown and reboot:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[/QUOTE}
Please NOTE the following:
Ignore Warnings and Information Events.
You do not need to include the lines of code-if any-in the box below the Description
Do not paste the entire Event Log

The Errors are time-coded, so he can check the computer clock for shutdown/reboot time.

It restarted while it was trying to load windows but when I finally got into windows and opened eventviewer there was no log for the reset right before..I found a log from yesterday (most recent error)

I can't copy and paste cause computer doesn't have net at this time.... But description says
The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 1848, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Date section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.
Oh and when I was able to rclick my computer it says it is sp3
The event id was 3001.

I don't know if this helps at all or not..I just wish it would stop rebooting...and 4gb is just what he put in it I thought that's most xp supports?

Note: it restarted itself again when I finished typing this and didn't put anything in applications log when I got back in windows and checked

so now that I put more drivers for motherboard on computer it resets even faster...doesn't even get to windows and restarts so I can't do an evntvwr thing again..can't even get into safe mode nothing.

think motherboard?? should I just take it to a shop and any ieas what that would run?

I can't copy and paste cause computer doesn't have net at this time....
What does this mean? You don't need an internet connection to copy and paste. If you're looking at it, you can copy it.

Do you dad a favor and take everything off of Startup except the antivirus and firewall. I don't think it's a laptop, but if is, he needs the touchpad- nothing else.
Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK all but what was mentioned> Apply> OK> Reboot.
NOTE: A nag message comes up on the reboot. It can be ignored and closed after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

.and 4gb is just what he put in it I thought that's most xp supports?
Get the RAM down to 1GB max. 4GB is too much for the computer system and is not needed for Windows XP.

You need to find out what else 'he put in it'!

what im saying is the computer isn't staying in windows..it resets before I get to do anything.. I haven't had time to set up drivers on it cause I resets before I can.. I stated in first post the specs..as far as software goes it only has xp on it now since I formatted it nd started fresh trying to fix it.

so when I said I can't copy and pastethe error its because im not on that computer to do it..I typed it on wm phone an posted it through that.

when i said reset i meant reboot...altho it hasn't done it in the last 3 hours so maybe it's fixed itself i dunno.. but i guess i'll see if it has issues later.

as far as what it does.. sometimes did blue screen a quick flash then reset but usually just reset with nothing.. screen just said going into power saving mode and then restarted.. didn't matter what i tried to boot into safe mode or standard it would just restart.

is it a motherboard issue? if so how do i fix it if it starts happening again?

Best if you just use the term 'reboot'. I will need more information to go further.

Please clear up the question of what was done to this system:
You seem to be indicating you changed the OS, left some driver out.. Did you take this machine from Vista back to Windows XP?
Edit/Delete Message
Can you boot into Safe Mode?

it was built then just had xp on it never vista. the whole system was custom built not ordered from like dell or anything like that.

i haven't had it reset lately so i don't know if after putting the drivers on after dealing with the reboots over and over that it fixed itself or what but it's been running fine all morning which is strange.

IT could have been the lack of drivers. There's not much I can do for you at this point. If the rebooting (NOT reset) starts again, check the Event Viewer for Errors as instructed. And I would remove half of the RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back