Computer restarting when playing video games

Hi all, new to the forum, and need some help with my pc. I put this computer together two years ago and I have never had any issues with it until now. Basically my computer fully restarts when playing some graphic intensive games, without even giving me a blue screen of death. I have changed the setting to prevent windows from restarting with BSODs but I still don't get one. No dump files are generated by Windows either when I get these crashes. The games include a heavily modded Fallout New Vegas, heavily modded Skyrim, Distance, and F.E.A.R. (only when upscaled x3 using NVidia DSR settings).

Some things to note:
- No recent hardware changes
- No recent drive changes
- Tried running at stock CPU clocks, still crashing
- CPU temps never go higher than 65 C
- GPU temps never go higher than 65 C
- MemTest shows no ram errors, all test passed
- I suspect its either a GPU or PSU failure, however I have not seen any kind of graphical glitches or artifacts to suggest a GPU failure.

Here are my specs:

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
Hard drive: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB SSD
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz OC to 4.5GHz
CPU Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H105
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Ram: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

I have also attached my DxDiag report and CPUz and GPUz screenshots. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• CPUz.png
    CPUz.png
    24 KB · Views: 2
  • GPUz.png
    GPUz.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DxDiag.txt
    65.9 KB · Views: 3
A nice well balanced system...should work fine.

I call what is happening 'freezes' - a BSOD would be easier...any error messages in Event Viewer? Have a known good video card you can replace yours? Can you underclock the GPU? Have you tried rolling driver back?

Beyond that, the old laundry list says: Malware? RAM test overnight? Drop the OC (all of it...freq, mult, power, temp), does problem go away? Replace TIM on GPU and CPU? Voltages - range and nominal well within spec?

Is there a chance that it would be the graphics card? Or did the successful stress tests eliminate that (if you've carried out any)?

When a computer restarts while playing games or under a heavy load it usually points to PSU woes, try running recurring loops of 3D Mark, Valley etc. to see if the problem persists, if it does, hit up Corsair. If it doesn't, you've got me but I'd suspect the mobo then, maybe GPU.

QUICK UPDATE

So I replaced the power supply and the problem is resolved. It seems my old one was on its way out, which makes sense as my system would hard reset only when pushed. Hope this helps somebody.

Back