Computer Restarts When GPU Loaded

Ryanx

Hello guys,

I bought a graphics card a month ago. After a while, I realized that it makes my computer restart when I'm playing games. I get no error, no blue screen, no nothing. When I'm playing(when GPU load is 90% or more), the computer just closes down and starts again.

The graphics card model is ASUS GTX 770 2 GB DirectCU II

I tried to run some stress tests on my graphics card with Furmark and it makes my computer restart again.

So I took my GPU and power supply and went to a friend of mine. His computer was kind of old which has a 500W PSU. We changed it with mine. We got no error, no restarts.

So I know that, it's not the GPU and PSU.

My Specs:
MSI Z87 G45 Gaming MBO
Intel I7 4770K Processor
16 GB Corsair 1600 Mhz Ram
You know the GPU
700W PSU

My Friend's Computer Specs(In case you need it):
Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H Mobo
AMD Athlon II X2 240
3 GB DDR2 Ram

If you guys have any suggestions how to solve this problem, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

It's a possible GPU driver related issue on your part that makes the system reboots itself. Try uninstalling your current GPU drivers and reinstall an updated version of your drivers.

I wish I haven't tried to install the lastest drivers before but I have. I even also tried to reinstall Windows. Unfortunately it didn't work.

Did you attach a power supply cable to the graphics card. I have an ASUS DirectCU OC GeForce GTX 660

A lot of people forget to connect the power supply to the video card... Try another power supply. Are you over-clocking?

I think that the designed of your case is not good. Your GPU is on top of your PSU and probably the GPU cooling fan is sucking the heat emitted by the power supply below it. I'd probably recommend a case that the PSU where is place on top not below the internal parts of the PC.

No, I'm not overclocking but I don't have a chance to try it with another PSU. The GPU hasn't seen more than 82 degrees when loaded fully and that's what I get on my friend's case too. We had no problems on his case with my PSU and GPU. And if it was about my PSU, wouldn't I get the same on my friend's case?

I think so. I also have two 8 GB ram modules and they are the same model and brand. I bought one of them after I bought the first one. The second one gives me BSOD and I gave the ram to the technical service, they tested it. The ram has no problems. I guess it's the mobo :/

Which settings do you think would be related to my problem? It's all the default settings.

You may try benching your system out of the case to test and rule out and test that it's not a temperature issue with your current case setup(Take out motherboard and components out of the case and assemble it on top of a box on a table).

Try to clock down your RAM to the default 1333Mhz or even 1066Mhz and find out if it will still restarts by itself.

It was already working on 1333Mhz so I tried it with 1066Mhz and tested it 6 times. I didn't get any restarts for my 1th, 4th and 5th tries but it restarted itself for my 2th, 3th and 6th tries. I guess we're close to solution. Because if I make them run at 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz, it always restarts itself.

I don't think I can do that for now but the video card worked fine on my friend's case with my PSU. I also sent it to the tech department, they also said there was nothing wrong with the card. I'm about to go crazy.

Back