Computer running slow after virus removal

CharlotteS

Hi,
A few weeks ago I picked up a virus which was redirecting me to advertising sites etc and Broni has helped me get rid of it however now my system is running very slow. Web pages take forever to open in both IE and Firefox and programs like excel and windows mail also hang. I have gound that when the process is not responding and I open windows task manager it suddenly responds without me doing anything else. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I wondered why you'd opened a new thread then skimmed through all the work Broni has put in to help you. There's an enormous amount of work in that thread. I didn't see anything that identified a virus but the important thing is that the computer has now been declared clean. It doesn't need a defrag and there's plenty of room on the hard drive. You are using Avira which is a really good program. It's a common error to have several AV programs running simultaneously which can cause lots of problems. Try using another free security program instead of Avira say MSE or AVG and see if that helps. Have you any toolbars installed which might be causing problems? I find that downloading and installing freeware often involves unwanted extra software being downloaded. It can be a real pain avoiding this or getting rid of some unwanted add-on afterwards. Have a good look through the installed programs under Control Panel in case there's something you've missed. I'll also mention that Google Chrome is currently rated the fastest browser and is now just ahead in popularity.

Just for the record, I only opened this new thread because Broni told me to. I followed every step religiously and am very appreciative of all the help I got.

I have uninstalled everything I don't need and have no toolbars on my computer. Will download chrome now, thank you.

Hello. Just a small hint for a solution, if any net searcher has the same problem.

My computer turned really slow after a trojan/virus infection. I used Malw***bytes and other tools to remove the infection and they left an empty "Avengers" folder in the system root, plus an "avengers.txt", which was a log file. And it grew MASSIVE, used up nearly all the empty system disk space, slowing down my Win7. Had to boot into safe mode to delete it as my Win7 wouldn't start in normal mode.

So look for leftovers of anti-malware software.

Back