Solved Missing desktop icons and start menu.

Hi Broni

I think I might have been infected by malware. I am running Windows 10 Pro on my Pc that was built roughly 3 months ago.
two days ago after a restart, this problem started occurring.

After a restart, everything works fine and it takes me to the login screen and everything works perfectly there but once I log in. My desktop background picture shows up, then a small white box appears on the screen. I am able to close the box by right click and then closing. I see the arrow/hourglass and have mouse control. The hourglass comes and goes as if it's running something. Ctrl-Alt-Del gives me the usual options screen, but after choosing Task Manager, I get only the desktop background/mouse cursor. No start menu, no icons, no open windows.
I have restarted several times and get similar results every time. I am also unable to boot into safe mode as for some weird reason my keyboard does not work in bios or boot up settings. The last time I booted into safe mode, I had to do it through system configuration. But since I am unable to do that now, every time I get to the stage where I have to press F4, my keyboard does not respond. I have ordered a cheap keyboard so I am at least able to boot into safe mode.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I don't know as I am unable to boot into safe mode from the desktop. The only way there is to boot into safe mood is to Shift+Restart on the lock screen. However, my keyboard does not work in bios or startup settings so when I get to the part where I have to press F4 to choose (boot into safe mode) my keyboard does not respond and the pc automatically shuts down after a minute.

NOTE 1. Use another working computer to download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to USB flash drive.
NOTE 2. Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer on GOOD computer to protect it from any infected USB device.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 32-Bit and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

If you are using Windows 10 If you're having problems accessing System Recovery Options create Windows 10 USB or DVD as described here: http://betanews.com/2015/07/29/how-...your-own-installation-usb-flash-drive-or-dvd/ and boot from it.

If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt. To access Advanced Boot Options start and shut down computer TWICE. On third start you should see Advanced Boot Options.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

• Startup Repair
  • System Restore
  • Windows Complete PC Restore
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
  • Command Prompt
  • Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Hi Broni
Thanks for your help, After making the log, I used system restore out of curiosity, and to my surprise, it worked and removed the malware.

Back