Computer shuts down on its own

able6actual

I was having an issue with BSOD's due to a program (Norton Utilities 15) which I have since removed. I called Norton to tell them about the problem and a tech connected to my system and went into the windows events area ( he right moused clicked the Computer tab and seleced manage) and he found three errors pointing to a motherboard issue that reported that the firmware (BIOS) was out of date.
He pointed me to the website to get the most current BIOS and downloaded it to my system for me.
He gave me directions to make an image disc with the file on it and reconfigured my system so that my CD rom drive would load before the Hard drive and then disconnected.
I followed his instructions and the BIOS update completed with no errors being reported.
However...
Today I had my computer on and was in a conference call when it shut down on its own. I rebooted it and got the following message.
"Warning! Now System is in Safe Mode. Please re-setting CPU / Memory in the CMOS setup." ( this is taken from the bios screen verbatum)
I had the option of hitting F1 to continue or DEL to enter settings so I pressed DEL. I looked around and under voltage I foud a few references to CPU. and under CMOS there wasnt anything listed for either that I could see.
Instead of fooling around with something I know nothing about I chose to exit without saving and the system rebooted to Windows.
Now my system runs very slow and often takes 10 minutes to completely load where before all the BSOD problems it was very fast.
The Motherboard in my computer is a EVGA X58 3x SLI and the firmware / BIOS update was "83" and I have 6gb of DDR3 1600mhz memory.
Any ideas on what I should do next?
Any help would be great.

You want to look for the VDIMM in your BIOS and see if it has set your RAM at the manufacture's voltage specs.

Computer Shutting down on its own

I checked the VDIMM setting and its set to auto and the motherboard default is 1.50 can you think of anything else I should try? Thank you for your help

What is your memory's voltage designed for? Click on the Auto setting in the BIOS and what are the memory voltage options it provides?

Back