Computer shuts down on some games, but not others?

Hello everyone! I've recently moved and have been having some troubles. About 2 or 3 days ago, when I tried playing Champions Online my computer would shut off after 20 minutes in. I had never played the game previous to the crashes, so not sure what the deal is. After that, I just uninstalled it and went to playing my normal games. I play League of Legends and was in the RIFT beta. In a League game, my computer suddenly crashed again without notice and continues to crash sometimes. Other times it plays perfectly fine through 45 minutes - 1 hour long games. The weird thing is, I hopped on RIFT after a crash once and I had it going for about 3 - 4 hours straight, no crashes. I used to play 4 - 5 games a day of League before I moved, so it has run it perfectly fine before.

The computer is not overheating. It barely goes past 30c and maybe reaches 35c when playing games. Everything is up to date, so really not sure what the problem is. It ONLY crashes during League of Legends, not sure of other games as I don't play any others except Runescape, which is browser based and doesn't crash the computer.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
2.11 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension
ATI Radeon HD 4650
Windows XP Family

The power supply is only a year old, maybe not even yet.

If I missed anything then please let me know what I need to tell you and how I can find it out. Thank you!

What exactly would I be looking for? I'm there, but idk what I should be checking honestly.

Under Application or System?

Sorry for the ignorance on my part. Computers aren't my strong point.

Edit: Computer just shut down while playing League of Legends. It was quiet until 5 seconds before the crash. It started making noises as if I was booting the computer up. My mouse turned off, my keyboard turned off, my screen froze for a second and then the computer turned off.

Found it.... "System shut down because of graphics card overheating." How should I go about this?

GPU Diode (DispIO) 75c
GPU Diode (MemIO) 73c

GPU fan 81%?

Overheating is usually caused by a faulty fan or dust in the heatsink. Get inside the case and blow it all out with a can of compressed air. Check when you boot up that the fan is running.

If nothing improves you may have to get a new fan.

try running a spot of prime95 to see if it is power load related.

Could be anything from memory settings through to a bad PSU.

try running a spot of prime95 to see if it is power load related.
Could be anything from memory settings through to a bad PSU.

You can download that from here: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

A usefull piece of software but it is for testing the CPU and Ram for overclocking stability. Although I am sure it would detect any fault in those two areas Event Viewer has named the GPU as the problem because of over heating.

Back