Computer shuts down when running videos

plicka31

My computer keeps shutting down whenever I try to watch videos or go to webinars, run antivirus scans, sometimes when I play games anything that use a lot of memory.

I uninstalled a bunch of programs that I do not use hoping that this would help. This has been happening for quite some time but now it is getting worse.

All of my fans are working and I have my case open for cooling and there is no dust inside.

I bought my computer from CyberpowerPC here are the specs:

Case X-Cruiser Mid Tower 420W Case W/ Window, Multimeter Display & Control
CPU: (Socket AM@) AMD Athon 64 x 2 4600+ Dual Core CPU w/HyperTransport Technology
Fan: CoolMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System
HDD: Single Hard Druive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
HDD2: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
Motherboard: (Socket AM2) ASUS Crosshair nForce 590 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 MBoard w/ Dual 16x
Memory: req. DDR2 Mainboard) 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
OS: Microsoft XP Professional w/ service pack 2 (I downloaded Service pack 3)
Power Supply: NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply
IEEE Card: IEEE 1394 Firewire PCI Card and driver
Video: NVIDIA GeForce EVGA 7600 GS 512MB PCI-E x16

Can anyone help me this is driving me nuts. I bought this gaming computer thinking I would not have any problems and I have had nothing but problems with videos and games. I tried to get help from tech support at Cyberpower with no luck.

blue screen

after I turn the computer back on it has the pop up to send the info to microsoft and then another screen comes up and says to go to control panel and go to add/remove programs and suggest to remove last program intalled.

not in these exact words of course.

I think I have had a blue screen come up also. but it mostly shuts down and I have to power back up and it starts up normally.

I went to ASUS's web site and I think I inputed the correct information and it suggested that my power supply shoupld be 650 watt. I am at work so I did not have all my exact specs with me.

If you can...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

* Also, do you or a friend have a digital multimeter to test your power supply? If it is not putting out the power you need or it is faulty it will cause all kinds of issues.

computer shutting down

Okay I went to minidump file and it was empty. I even changed the folder to see hidden file. this foled was modified today. I did run a progarm today called nCleaner and I deleted all the jumk files that went know where. I don't know if these files in this folder was part of the deleted files.

Pertaining to the question below what is the output I should be reading?

* Also, do you or a friend have a digital multimeter to test your power supply? If it is not putting out the power you need or it is faulty it will cause all kinds of issues.

Have you ever used a multimeter before? Depending on your answer I will reply accordingly. :)

Mulitmeter

Yes I know how to use a multimere. I actually have a electronics background but have not used it in over 15 years. I changed careers and now I am a salesman. I have knowledge of electronics but limited experience on the bench. :) I really appreciate your time and help.

Last night I uninstalled more programs that I really do not need and I re installed the OS to see if there were any files that were corrupt. I still have to install some of the drivers. So far this did not help the issue of shutting down.

Ah, a man with working knowledge! :grinthumb

Most of your information will come from the molex plugs. Keep in mind the system must be running but I am sure you know that already.

Here is a helpful link: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...g+multimeter&ndsp=18&hl=en&sa=N&start=18&um=1

It works in percentage tolerances.

The bare minimum is 5% and most good manufacturers go to 3%. And the really good supplies are tighter than 3%.

so for 5% they have to be between:
12v: 11.4v <--> 12.6v (you really don't want 12.6 though)
5v: 4.75v <--> 5.25v
3.3v: 3.135v <--> 3.465v

And for 3% they can be between:
12v: 11.64v <--> 12.36v
5v: 4.85v <--> 5.15v
3.3v: 3.201v <--> 3.399v

Power Supply voltage

I tested my power supply and the voltage is:

11.89-11.99 when powered on it was at 11.99 and at idle and when I ran the virus scan it
would fluctuate between 11.89-11.99.

5.09-5.10 when powered on it was at 5.10 and at idle and when I ran the virus scan it
would fluctuate between 5.09-5.10.

3.37-3.44 when powered on it was at 3.42 and at idle and when I ran the virus scan it
would fluctuate between 3.37-3.44.

It seems to be fine.

Bsod

No. it just powers down.

If I do regular work like surfing or emails things of that nature it works fine. It may shut off every once in a while and if it is just idling for a long time it may shut down. Once I start working on videos or scan the drives, game, it will shut down. This has me really confused. I thought maybe it is the graphics card. On the original card the fan crapped out and I sent it back for a replacement.

Hmmm, a few thoughts:

1. A heat issue. The fans may be blowing as you said but are they pushing enough air around becomes the question especially when the load is on the video card via gaming, etc.? Try this simple yet tried and true diagnostic step. Take off your side case panel and on low settings have a small fan blow directly into said system. Then try playing a game. Any shut-downs?

2. The power supply may be working quite fine but is the 500 watts enough power for your system, especially when again under a load? Asus does not seem to think so and I question it myself though I am only making an educated guess at this time.

* We certainly don't want you buying hardware and come to find out that it isn't the issue after all but Corsair makes solid dependable ps units. Just to give you an idea @ 650 watts: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

shut down issue

I ended up formating hard drive and re installed OS and it kept shutting down. I noticed that the graphics card had 3 blown caps I replaced card and was stioll having problems. I finally got the OS installed and ran a stress test on the mother board and it would shut off in the first round. I got fed up and brought the computer down to a local repair company and the confirmed the the motherboard was bad. they said that alot of these ASUS boards with AMD processors are a little quarkie. Thanks for your time. I am just going to replace the board for the time being and when I have the extra cash I will buy a new system. This time I am getting an Intel Processor.

I am glad you found out what the issue was. It had nothing to do with your AMD chip and I would seriously challenge them about Asus boards and AMD chips. To me they sound like Intel fan boys (and I am not a fan boy of either; I have built and run both Intel and AMD).

If you are ever interested in building your own you can get great advice from our General Hardware forum.

[FONT=Times New Roman] F[/FONT][FONT=Calibri]orum,[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]I had the same issues, my computer kept turning off at certain times in the day. It was also turning off whenever I run antivirus or when running heavy process applications. So I started reading about this occurrence, thinking I had a virus in my computer, but kept running into overheating issues. So I did the following, I know it is funny!! but I had to tested out, I started running my anti-virus which never run completely, this time I placed my computer in the refrigerator, FUNNY? The antivirus completed without any problems for the first time ever!!! So what I did after that is I lowered the power to the minimum and now the computer does not turn off randomly anymore. So in my case, no virus, no malware, it is just a defect in the computers of today, we should all get together and file a class action suit over this issue, it definitely cost me lots of wasted time which means money. Try that and let me know how if it works for you!!![/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Best [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Jacinto Arauz[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] [email address removed][/FONT]

Back