Motherboard CPU holder surface mount solder fracture

Macho

A common problem for me, is how I am destroying my motherboards by grabbing the mother board by the cooler heat sink and fan and removing it to another case. This seems to have fractured the SMD solder joints and they act like cold solder joints. No effect pushing the
on button after I turned it off, and it worked OK. Then the DRAM led is on, meaning my memory is not working. Re arranging them does not do it, and when I tighten down on the cooling fan it has an effect and does not just go on and off.

Ebay sells motherboard reflow and work stations for $500 - $800. No one seems to want to do this work and we need it to be done
today with the fine worked motherboards. I have 2 that need to be sent out if anyone has this service available. The manufacturer says that
every Computer repair service business should have one of these re work and reflow machines and we should get this done locally.
Put flux on the motherboard and heat it up with special equipment to reflow the balled joints and Surface mounted components such as the CPU holder. How many people are talking about having these same problems means you broke your motherboard and need a repair.

OK... I ordered the same motherboard and I now am up and running with the same DRAM, GPU, etc.

I will be able to send the old motherboard back for warranty, since I had the serial number and registered it.
I am using that computer now again.

Originally I thought I would post a "heads up," concerning the gentle handling of motherboards, and not to handle the motherboard by the CPU heat sink. Tightening down should only be finger tight. It was working for a week with no problems until I handled it to put it in another case.

I will be able to send the old motherboard back for warranty, since I had the serial number and registered it.
I am using that computer now again.
While I know this is of no help, mobo manufacturers have a weight limit on coolers attached. The last time I saw any specs on this, the limit was about a pound, which is about half the weight of the current crop of "super duper coolers", being marketed to "enthusiasts.

In short, if you're going to go for a warranty replacement, you might run into an issue, since they have more than likely seen this issue many times before.

Back