Computer shuts off without warning

(reading from this sticker on my laptop)

ACER- ASPIRE 5720-4663

-Intel Pentium dual-core processor
(1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache)

-Up to 252 MB Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

-2GB DDR2

-15.4 " WXGA Acer Crystalbrite LCD (8ms/220-nit)

- 160 GB HDD

- DVD-Super Multi DL

- 802.11 b/g WLAN

Alright here is the scoop!

I took my computer recently to a shop and had this guy there install Arch Linux. After hearing what the guy from the store had told me about it, and what I kept hearing about the mac operating system, I felt that the arch linux was the way to go.

Shortly after getting my existing laptop home with this new arch linux operating system put on it, I notice it starts to overheat. It never did that before, well it got warm, but it got HOT! So like any computer that overheats it shuts off. That I get.

So I bring my laptop back to the people there and they say my fan may be shot. I pick it up after work they say my fan is fine, they blew a lot of dust off it and that was basically that. So just to be sure I pick up a laptop stand that has fans on it to keep the laptop nice and cool.

So anyway here I was using it this morning and it shuts off while streaming video from this site that has tv shows on it. I felt the computer all over and it wasn't very warm at all. Now here I am using the same computer, and I have been on it for almost an hour and nothing happens.

From what I am noticing, this may be only when streaming video from certain sites. I was on youtube for 3 hours the night before listening to music.

Did the overheating of the unit the last time possibly damage a few things?

Is this just their operating system glitching up on me on certain webpages?

What should I do?

Sounds like something is pushing your CPU up to the limit. While it is running go into Task Manager and see what % your CPU is running at and look in the list of Services to see what it is that is hogging the CPU, also check the memory use.

Tell us what you observe.

Once I retrieve my computer from the store again I'll be sure to update the situation. Has anyone here even heard of arch linux?

I did a bit more digging for information on this but must admit I have zero experience with Linux, must give it a go someday on a spare PC.

There seems to be quite a lot of other people with the same problem and although resolutions are varied the problem seems to be down to the way Linux uses the GPU. These are the suggestions I found.

Switch off descrete graphics in the bios.

Up date your Bios to improve fan control.

There is some advanced information in this link to improve the frequency control on the CPU.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cpufrequtils

Some have found an end to overheating by changing to Ubuntu.

Download and install this so you can keep an eye on the temps.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Back