Computer shutting off while gaming

Soulcage

Hello, I've having an issue with my PC while gaming. The issue is when I play a game like World of warcraft It can be playing it from anywhere to an hour to 10min when randomly my pc turns completely off. It's not a freezing. My whole pc just turns off. I do not have the issue at all when browsing the internet or writing documents, just gaming. When this first started happening I thought it was a heat issue so I checked all my temperatures and they are all around 50 degrees Celsius while gaming.
My computer runs windows vista 64
Quad Core AMD Phenom X4 9550 2220MHz
Radeon 4850 hd

And when looking at everest it says my +12v is at 11.904 my +5v is at 5.00 my +3.3v is at 3.264 and my cpu core is at 1.232. If you need any more information about my PC just ask. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a video card driver issue and it is common for this to happen even with particular games.

I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

I also noticed something else. I ran Furmark's stability test twice on my pc and my computer turned off around the 5th minute of the stability test. So then my friend said it is probablly an issue with my power supply. Any ideas?

Re-reading your post if the issue is with your power supply then you'd be having issues beyond gaming. Follow the steps I gave you in my first reply.

It could also be your NIC; but first do the driver update steps.

K I finished what you suggested. I uninstalled my driver. Ree booted in safe mode. Used driversweeper to clean the video drivers up. Then rebooted and installed the latest ATI drivers. Then I loaded up WoW and after 10min my pc once again shut off. So then I tried something else. Normally when I play I play at a resolution at 1920x1080. So instead I tired 1280x720. And I've been playing for an hour so far and it has not turned off. Does this suggest to any new ideas?

Your 4850 should easily run that game at 1920 x 1080. This is a strange occurance. How long has this issue been going on and has it always been this way with this game?

What monitor do you have?

I am wondering if it might be a defective monitor cable.

I run dual monitors and it happens to both of them so I know it's know a monitor cable. And this issue happens with every game a play, not just one particular one. It's almost like my computer is telling me I don't feel like working hard and just shuts off.

What happens if you just run one monitor while the other one is disconnected from the system?

Back