Computer slows down drastically

Messymess66

Hello all,

I have been troubleshooting an issue I have been having with my PC for awhile now. I will turn my computer on to play a game (FarCry3 or Diablo 3). When I am finished I will close the game and go to desktop. After several hours of not being used I will return to my computer and start up the game. This time however the game will be "glitchy", the sound will be crackling and suffers lag the entire time. The only way I have been able to resolve this is by restarting my computer.

I have tried clearing my RAM cache, I am up to date on all updates regarding windows and hardware. I also initially only had 4gb RAM I upped it to 8gb to see if that could potentially be an issue. I am lost here and was wondering if anyone out there had any tips or similar experiences.

I've had this happen to me too. It turned out it was the internet browser (IE I think, but it may have been chrome) taking up a ton of resources and using the CPU. I believe Facebook was the real problem and it only because a problem after having FB open for a long time.

If you can play in windowed mode perhaps you can open the task manager to see if your CPU is doing anything else at the same time. Sometimes malware can use your CPU and cause issues like this (not just when gaming).

You can also see if you can update drivers, but I would think that would affect the game all the time, not just sometimes.

Good luck,

Back