Computer taking long to shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

salty

Hi Folks I am having a problem my computer has started taking a long time to shut down after it has been on for a few hours I have ran Avg 9.0/ Searchbot/ Registry Mechanic/ repair windows/ defrag/ nothing seem to help now I have notice all my browsers are taking long to load or reload pages sometimes i have to close and reopen pages. I am running XP Pro SP3
All scan logs are now attached
Any Help Or Advice is Greatly Appreciated Thanks
If I have posted in wrong section please let me know Thanks

Salty, usually this kind of question should be put in the Windows OS forum, not Virus and Malware Removal.

You need control over the tracking Cookies:
Reset Cookies

For Internet Explorer: Internet Options (through Tools or Control Panel) Privacy tab> Advanced button> CHECK 'override automatic Cookie handling'> CHECK 'accept first party Cookies'> CHECK 'Block third party Cookies'> CHECK 'allow per session Cookies'> Apply> OK.

For Firefox: Tools> Options> Privacy> Cookies> CHECK ‘accept Cookies from Sites’> UNCHECK 'accept third party Cookies'> Set Keep until 'they expire'. This will allow you to keep Cookies for registered sites and prevent or remove others.

I suggest using the following two add-on for Firefox. They will prevent the Tracking Cookies that come from ads and banners and other sources:
AdBlock Plus
Easy List

Having so many usually means the user isn't doing good maintenance on the system> disc cleanup, defrag, etc.

The main reason for your problem is because you have way too many processes starting on boot, then running in the background. That means slower startup, surf and shutdown.

Click on Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK everything EXCEPT AVG and ZoneAlarm> Apply> OK.

Reboot. NOTE: you will get a nag message first time you boot after making changes. Ignore it and close after checking 'don't show message again'. Stay in Selective Startup.

Do you know what AbacastDistributedOnDemand.exeis? It looks like streaming TV.
C:\Documents and Settings\Bajanboy\Local Settings\Application Data\AbacastDistributedOnDemand\Node\11\AbacastDistributedOnDemand.exe

Another useless process running in the background:
C:\Program Files\No-IP\DUC20.exe

Description: Part of http://www.no-ip.com provided service. Keeps No-IP's dynamic nameserver (DNS) updated if and when your computer's (network's) dynamic IP-address changes so that you can run servers on computers with dynamic IP.

Plus Magic Jack, plus Skype and on and on- how can you NOT be slow!

Let me know if you notice a difference.

Hi Salty

There can be many different reasons for long shutdown problems. And sometimes it's not just one but multiple reasons in play.

So, do complete the steps outlined by Bobbye but if the problem persists (or even if better but just still seems a bit long) you can also try running a tool from MS which cleans up Windows data under XP. See this link for more info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back