Computer will not work, Monitor has orange stand by light

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonggirl

Hi, This is my kids computer, I was replacing the Graphics card from my computer to theirs, both computers were working perfectly. When the graphics card was replaced into the kids computer from mine, the kids computer would not work and the monitor just goes into standby. The fans work and the power button on the front of the computer comes on the hard drive doesn't seem to load though, I have tried to put the old graphics card back into it but I still get the same. I have tried taking the ram out one by one nothing chnages, it does give a great big beeep when I take one of the rams out. I took the power cords out of all the extras, hard drive dvd etc and continued to put them back one by one nothing changed. I even went and bought a bigger psu and replaced that still nothing. I've reset the Cmos and took the battery out but nothing. Everything seems to be ok on the motherboard no leaks or bulges but I am suspecting the motherboard or the CPU could be the problem, how or why I have no idea when it was working. I'm not sure whether to replace the motherboard or not or how much that would cost? Neither do I know what motherboard it is, I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas or if anyone can tell me how to identify the motherboard to see if I can replace it when the computer does not turn on? Thanks
Ohh and when I went to try my old graphics card back in my computer again it doesn't work now but it did before, I get the computer to start and I get "Windows" loading but then it goes to a black screen I cannot get into the bios or into safe mode or anything. I had an old graphics card which need a new fan so i replaced that and now I have this computer up and working. Sorry to confuse the issue I think we'll start with the kids computer first, I just thought as none of the new cards are working in my computer maybe something in the kids computer blew them or something? Thanks

The first impression I get is that the new card is not compatible with your kid's computer. There's one more thing you might try, though. The motherboard has to be compatible with its own graphics device, so... If the motherboard has onboard video, go into the BIOS to make that the default. Every BIOS screen seems to be different...on mine I go to Advanced, down to Onboard Device Configuration, then to Primary Display Adapter. Be sure that the connector is in the port for the onboard graphics device and not the port for the graphics card.

It should have been compatible but as when it didn't work I returned the working card back into the computer and I got the same result, the card that was working in there had been in there for 18 months so I would have thought it would have worked until it didn't. I cannot get into the Bios as I cannot get a screen to boot anything to get into it, can I get into Bios without a screen? Would you be able to tell me how slowly and in detail as I'm new at these repair jobs. The monitor works fine too as I've had it working on this computer which is my computer but I tried my computer's screen on the kids computer and nope got no signal, my screen is an LCD and I tried with the anologue and then the digital connection but it didn't matter both had no signal. thanks

Motherboards seldom fail, and nothing you tell us makes it sound as if it is a motherboard problem... but you could have a driver problem, or a Windows Problem...
Windows will often stop working if it detects a major change in the system... because this is the way Microsoft wants it to protect against fraudulent installs.
Once it has shut down to stop migration of the OS to another computer, it cannot go back unless you use your original Windows install disk in repair mode.
This problem does not come up with memory has changed, but it does often happen with a change in video card or some other devices.

That would be ok and I wouldn't mind reformatting it that was going to be my next job on it, I have the original XP Pro disc it came with, but I cannot get the monitor or any monitor to work on it, they all show the orange light for the old monitors and the new lcd shows no signal so I cannot reformat it without a screen, the cd and dvd drives come out and the computer's green light at the front turns on when I start it up, an ornage light under the green one on the computer comes on for about 40 seconds then it goes off but the green power light stays on but no monitor.

I find it difficult to understand what you are describing...

Perhaps you could expand upong what is going on.

On Christmas Eve I swapped over graphics cards from my computer to my kids computer, just before doing this both computers were very operational, I took the video card out of my computer a cheap but brand new Nvidia FX5500 which was working in my computer and put it in the kids computer, swapping a G-Force Nvidia 6200 from the kids computer to mine. On doing this the kids computer now does not recognize the monitor, well the monitor stays in stand by the little orange light stays on and it does not change to the operational green light. but the monitor works on my computer, so it cannot be a monitor problem that I've established. When it wouldn't work with the FX5500 card I put back the 6200 card but still it did not work and I got the same problem. I have in the mean time checked a few things on the computer and also replaced the PSU but still nothing, I am thinking most probably it is a motherboard problem or a CPU problem but before I go that far I was just asking for some advice. Thanks

I have to step in here as I don't exactly agree with raybay on this one. Motherboards usually are the last to go, yes. But I have certainly seen my share of customers that have had to replace them due to static shock or power surges. Parts go bad from even moving a tower to the other side of a room when re-arranging the furniture. Anyways, gong, I hear what you're saying. And you seem a bit computer savy enough to know what a hard drive is from a video card. Some of my customers get a big question mark over their head at the mere mention of usb or hard drive. First, I'm wondering did you ground yourself before reaching in and pulling stuff out? static and circuits dont mix. Second, are either of the video cards working? It's rare, but sometimes the pci, video, or even ram slots become bad and short anything out you try to put into them.

Windows, as mandated and configured by Microsoft, detects a change in the Video Card as an attempt to illegally duplicate Windows... Any hardware change except memory will usually cause this problem. You can run the windows disk in Repair mode and get it working properly again, but otherwise, there is not much you can do. A phone call to Microsoft will not fix the problem by itself.

I have to step in here as I don't exactly agree with raybay on this one. Motherboards usually are the last to go, yes. But I have certainly seen my share of customers that have had to replace them due to static shock or power surges. Parts go bad from even moving a tower to the other side of a room when re-arranging the furniture. Anyways, gong, I hear what you're saying. And you seem a bit computer savy enough to know what a hard drive is from a video card. Some of my customers get a big question mark over their head at the mere mention of usb or hard drive. First, I'm wondering did you ground yourself before reaching in and pulling stuff out? static and circuits dont mix. Second, are either of the video cards working? It's rare, but sometimes the pci, video, or even ram slots become bad and short anything out you try to put into them.

Thanks spKenny, You're thinking more like what I'm thinking, I have pulled a couple apart before and I know I have to ground myself, I'm sure I did but hey maybe not enough, I know I have to feel the side of the case and I wore rubber soled shoes but I am too thinking this maybe wasn't enough, as both cards and computers were working perfectly before I touched them (I know what you're thinking I should have touch them and so am I know....lol). Now neither video cards are working in the computer that is not working and I'll try not to confuse you here, but I had the FX5500 in my computer and it was working firstly before putting it in the other computer, but when I went to put it back into my computer I get some graphics the windows starts to load up and then it goes to the next screen and that one is black and it goes no further I cannot get into Bios or into safe mode when that card is in, but it was working before the swap over. I also tried the other card from the kids computer it is a 6200 and this is doing the same thing in my computer. I am too thinking whatever card I'm putting in that computer they are blowing somehow, I have put a new fan on my old card and put it in this computer I am using to get some help and it works perfectly but alias I'm not going to try it in the other computer I've lost too many new ones so far. Thanks

Windows, as mandated and configured by Microsoft, detects a change in the Video Card as an attempt to illegally duplicate Windows... Any hardware change except memory will usually cause this problem. You can run the windows disk in Repair mode and get it working properly again, but otherwise, there is not much you can do. A phone call to Microsoft will not fix the problem by itself.

Can you explain to me how I can run windows in repair mode when the computer does not recognize any monitors, I am more than happy to try something but I can't understand how I'm going to be able to do this?

Just curious...have you tried booting it up without any video cards in the computer at all?...just on the chance that the motherboard may have video as part of the board itself? The way you can tell is if the computer has two ports for a monitor. Put the connector in the port you normally don't use. Pull out the graphics card, then fire it up. It may be the way to get something on the monitor screen.

If you do get to the point where you want to get a new motherboard, I would not be concerned with the make of your present motherboard, instead I would get an ATX form factor motherboard and an ATX computer case, then switch all the components over. The advantage is that everything you would have would be standardized and easy to replace.

Just curious...have you tried booting it up without any video cards in the computer at all?...just on the chance that the motherboard may have video as part of the board itself? The way you can tell is if the computer has two ports for a monitor. Put the connector in the port you normally don't use. Pull out the graphics card, then fire it up. It may be the way to get something on the monitor screen.

If you do get to the point where you want to get a new motherboard, I would not be concerned with the make of your present motherboard, instead I would get an ATX form factor motherboard and an ATX computer case, then switch all the components over. The advantage is that everything you would have would be standardized and easy to replace.

I haven't tried booting it without a graphics card and I don't have any on board graphics so I thought it wasn't much use as it's basically the screen that I need to reformat. Would have been good if it had on board graphivs though. I had a good look at the motherboard today and come up with some numbers off it, it seems to be an ECS motherboard and the number on it was a 648FX-A (V1.0) I found the motherboard at this site: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...ilID=323&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=52&LanID=0
Now I'm not familiar at all with replacing motherboards but I'm willing to give it a shot. The only thing is that I'm not sure if I can get this same motherboard anymore and I haven't got a clue what motherboard would be the same or very close to it, apparently someone told me that the motherboard has to match the cpu somehow? Not sure about this either, but maybe someone out there can help a damsel in distress with some motherboard lessons....lol
Thanks

Or even an approximate $$$ figure what I would be up for to replace the motherboard to see if it would be worth it or just buy a new one and use this one for spares, I ahve no idea what a motherboard is worth nor a CPU I emailed the above people (at the site quoted)but I haven't heard anything. Regards

If you try onboard graphics, you may still need to install a driver to get the resolution high enough to use.

Good work, gonggirl! I took a look at the board and that gave me a better idea of what you're up against. It looks like an older board because there are no SATA ports on it. Since there are no onboard graphics and neither of your cards can make the monitor work, the only thing left I would imagine is to try a different monitor if there is one around. I don't doubt Raybay's assertion that you may need to update your drivers, but as long as you can't get an image on the screen, you can't look for drivers, access the operating system, or even the BIOS.

On to motherboards...ECS doesn't seem to be well regarded from all the customer reviews I've seen at Tiger Direct and from a few comments here at TechSpot. I've been very happy with ASUS and MSI. Others swear by Gigabyte. I've used the lowest priced ASUS and MSI ($49.99) on a few computers I've built and they're still performing very well. They're good motherboards for most computing you have to do, but when you get into graphic design, image editing, and entertainment, then you'll want to get into the mid-range boards ( $80 to $160). Gamers, of course, require much more expensive boards. The motherboards made these days usually require memory with 240-pins. Yours may have 180. If you're just replacing the motherboard, see what kind of memory it has, and if the processor is compatible. If it isn't, it just won't fit and you can't make it fit!

Now I'll take it just a little further...building a computer usually involves buying about eight to a dozen parts. For my needs, I'd say I've spent about $550 to do some graphic design, web work, and play music. You can actually put together a decent computer for about $350, minus the Windows operating system, but don't expect to play games!

I'm not sure how old your computer is, but it seems like it could be about three years or older. I'll usually give a computer an average of five years before it starts acting nuts.

Thanks for all that information. I have already tried my monitor which is an LCD but that showed no connection either. I bought the computer about 18 months ago 2nd hand off a bloke at work who has now left, I'm not sure how long he had it for, he did some gaming though i think. I was only using it for the kids to do some school work and as all kids do these days chat to their buddies on MSN, other than that they didn't really do too much on it, a little Office work but not much. I'm not sure whether it's worth getting another motherboard for it, but the problem is getting another motherboard then finding out it is something else. I'm thinking of just sending it to a technician and seeing what their diagnosis is and then going from there. Thanks

boris, could you give her a message with some of the specs of socket type, etc that she could possibly go to a computer store with the information. Personally I would approach a friend though gon, as computer stores generally do a markup on what they sell obviously to make profit. I used to work at a store. Had to lie to customers to get them to buy things like power adapters for a laptop. We would charge between 80 and 90 bucks when the customer could purchase it themselves for only 35 to 40 dolllars. Anyway, long story short, know what you need specification wise if you wanna just get a motherboard. Shouldnt be more than 60 bucks or so. dont quote me on that. You will need help on installing it obviously. Finally, I have to respond to boris that my computer is 5 years old now, and still keeping up just fine with all the gamers, etc. The only thing I've upgraded is the video card and that was 4 years ago. Just cause it dont have sata doesnt rule it out from being a good computer.

Those are very good points, Kenny! Of course, what I've been saying is very general. When the time comes, gonggirl will post again asking for specifics. It's true that you have to watch for sales pitches at stores just like the one you worked at.The prices you can get at online distributors like Tiger Direct and Directron beat the prices at stores like Best Buy by a very significant amount! It's also encouraging to hear how long your computer has been lasting. I've seen a couple of computers go almost eight years before finally starting to cough. IDE connectors have longed served very well. These days the boards have more SATA ports than IDE and I've seen some times when I would like to see at least a couple of IDE ports on a board instead of just one. About installing a motherboard...I'll betcha gonggirl could do it! But you're right--I haven't nearly given the specifications she would need. Let's see what she says after she comes back from the technician with the diagnosis of why the monitor won't display.

Thx spkenny, I don't know that many computer repairing people, well not that knows this much about computers, they would probably just test and check what I have and tell me that its pretty major and that would be it. I was thinking of going to the computer markets and seeing if anyone can have a look at it there, although they are getting pretty much like retail computer stores nowadays, their prices are nearly the same. I'm in Australia and there was a refurbished motherboard on ebay for $30.00 if I was in the uSA it would have been ideal for $30.00 I would have given it a go but with shipping it goes close to $100 and then it may not even solve the problem. I think I could change the motherboard myself it doesn't look to difficult, but if it isn't the problem then it must be the CPU and then I have no idea what price they are, most of the other components are all new, this is why I'm considering the motherboard, but I suppose they would make good spares....lol I think I'll either go to the computer markets or find someone who will give me a free quote and see what the diagnosis they come up with would be. Although I think a free quote it will probably have lots of technically terms that I probably won't be able to decypher. I just thought there may have been something I was missing or something that someone could tell me to try that may have fixed it, I guess I wa sliving in hope but I think I'm going to have to see what a technician says. Thanks

Ok a new update, Probably did the wrong thing but what the heck...I went to the computer markets today and i bought a new motherboard it is not exactly the same brand it has the same configurations etc but it is a Hewlett Packard, the lady I bought it off told me it would fit, I took the computer along with me, I'm only hoping it is compatible with what I have. Probably got ripped off but anyway had to give something a go. She told me everything else would be good but it had a different chipset and that II would have to reformat the hard drive but that I was going to do anyway.
Anyway my next problem is removing the old motherboard and fitting this new one, any help or advice of anyone out there would be appreciated. The only problem I'm thinking is once all together do I need to do something with the bios and I'm only hoping my CPU and the bios or whatever else has to be comptiable is compatible.
I'm running very blind here not really knowing what other motherboard would be compatible and I was taking the computer ladies word for it, Fingers crossed I guess.
Any help or advice is welcomed.
Thanks

Well, the first thing to do is to see if the motherboard fits. You'll have to remove almost everything, including the wires until there's a bare computer case. The screw holes in the computer case and the screw holes in the motherboard have to match. If they do, you're in business.

To attach the motherboard, you'll need spacers. Okay? Spacers...usually six or eight. Spacers make a space between the motherboard and the computer case. The motherboard rests on top of the spacers. The motherboard screws into the spacers. The spacers screw into the computer case. That's it!

About the processor...the motherboard will typically be made for an AMD or an Intel processor, but not both. If you have an Intel processor, you'll need a board made for Intel.

Now about the BIOS. The motherboard already comes with its own BIOS, so you need not worry there.

Did the motherboard come with a manual?

One good thing about making connections in computers...everything fits only one way!

Let's see if your motherboard fits first.

I should add one more thing...washers. I put little pinkish-brown washers between the screws and the motherboard when I'm attaching the motherboard to the spacers.

have you simply tried plugging the monitor into the other video port on the card?

I have Klepto I tried my other LCD monitor and plugged it in using anologue and then I tried the digital connection as well but I got back No signal. But thanks anyway.

Well, the first thing to do is to see if the motherboard fits. You'll have to remove almost everything, including the wires until there's a bare computer case. The screw holes in the computer case and the screw holes in the motherboard have to match. If they do, you're in business.

To attach the motherboard, you'll need spacers. Okay? Spacers...usually six or eight. Spacers make a space between the motherboard and the computer case. The motherboard rests on top of the spacers. The motherboard screws into the spacers. The spacers screw into the computer case. That's it!

About the processor...the motherboard will typically be made for an AMD or an Intel processor, but not both. If you have an Intel processor, you'll need a board made for Intel.

Now about the BIOS. The motherboard already comes with its own BIOS, so you need not worry there.

Did the motherboard come with a manual?

One good thing about making connections in computers...everything fits only one way!

Let's see if your motherboard fits first.

Ok I've had a closer look, first I'll give you these specs:
**** my CPU Intel Pentium 4, 2.66 ghz/512/533 SL6QA Malay L324B061 - thats what's on the CPU
****my old motherboard ECS 648fx-a (V1.0)
****The new motherboard: Hewlett Packard AS# 305374-001
SP#323091-001, P6B580G9Vp6MEU, and near the processor it says "processor socket" 374 Rev OH S2B (I cannot find too much on this all I can find is that this motherboard seems to be in the D530 Hewlett Packard Computer)

No Manual with the new Motherboard, but it is still in it's plastic wrapper at the moment as I wasn't sure if it was going to be the right one. Anyways

The new motherboard is shorter and wider and the screws are not in the same place, but in my computer case the motherboard seems to be mounted to a side piece (it is up off the case with the spacers as you mentioned I'm guessing, but under this the side piece seems to have a few more holes in it, and I think if those holes are for the motherboard it may fit in the other holes (hope I'm making sense here) I could possibly take a photo but I'm not sure if I can attach a photo on here.

There is one problem I think I see on the motherboard now (if you have a look on the site this site it is the old motherboard) (http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetailPhoto.aspx?DetailID=323&LanID=0) well up above the ram slots there is a 4 pronged plug for a power cable this power cable is connected to my PSU now, not sure what it does, but the new motherboard does not seem to have it anywhere.

Hope you can understand this, thx

I've found the four pronged power connection on the new board so there's no probs with that now, it was the CPU power connector.

You can do one more thang is set computr back to default. You can do this two ways thire 2 smal pin you can jumper next to the silver round thin battery check your mother board book . Or you can remove the battery for a few minutes. Both will reset your bios to default Have dne this my self works. Waltrue

You can do one more thang is set computr back to default. You can do this two ways thire 2 smal pin you can jumper next to the silver round thin battery check your mother board book . Or you can remove the battery for a few minutes. Both will reset your bios to default Have dne this my self works. Waltrue

thanks Waltrue I've tried that as well, I think my only option is this motherboard but I'm going to need some advice and help to do it I think. Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back