Computer won't boot after upgrading cpu

I have an asrock h97m pro4 mobo and tried upgrading my CPU to an intel i7 4790k. When I tried to start up the computer nothing showed on the monitor, the case fans didn't start spinning. The CPU cooler did work and I could hear the hard drive spinning. I switched back to the old cpu and the computer booted just fine. I updated the bios and cleared the cmos, then switched the CPU back to the i7 and still no luck. When I tried to boot it up the CPU fan and hdd started up but nothing showed on the screen.

Any and all help appreciated. Sorry if this sounds confusing I'm kinda an *****.

"then switched the CPU back to the i7 and still no luck" - I take this to mean that neither CPU now works. If so, I would redirect you to the motherboard manual and suggest that you confirm jumpers and connections are all properly made. My wild guess is that the power to CPU connection is loose.

If your power supply supplied enough juice, then you new CPU may be bad. The board itself is pretty solid and likely isn't the root cause of the problem. You could reset the BIOS to factory state and try the i7 again. Possibly the settings you were using need to be scaled back to run the i7.

Back