Computer won't boot past splash screen..(HD failing??)

Hey everyone,

First I just want to say I am pretty knowledgable with computers for the most part. The problem is with my mothers HP computer. She has a A1000 HP Pavilion which is about 5 years old. I came to her house to help fix her computer and for some reason will not boot past the windows xp splash screen. Whenever it goes to that screen it will restart, and not go any further. Anyways, I have been doing a little bit of searching on google and found out that it may be the harddrive failing.

Just to double check, I used an Windows XP recovery disk and reformatted the computer, but once it starts up again it does the exact same thing.

I took apart the computer and removed the CMOS battery for 10 seconds and put it back in and also removed the harddrive. The question I have is, if the harddrive is "failing" would the computer be able to recognize the drive when I reformat?, because it did. I found the exact model harddrive on Amazon, but I am unsure if this is even the problem, and I don't want to buy it if it's not.

Any other suggestions on things to try? Or is there a way to find out what is causing this?

Also, the screen that pops up when It restarts is that it says something about recently installed hardware that is corrupted, which I know my mother did not install anything. I also unplugged every usb drive, so I don't think this is the problem. I then get a blue screen every once in awhile saying to restart and says something about the bios, but like I said cannot get past the splash screen.

Sorry this may be alot of information, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

You don't have a spare hard drive or one you can borrow from a friend for testing? I suspect that the motherboard has gone bad... Take a close look at the capacitors around the CPU for bulging or leaking caps. Like in this video:

Thanks for the input. The motherboard actually looks perfect..no bulges or leaks, so I'm not sure that is the problem. Im going to try and see if I can borrow a Harddrive from a friend. Would purchasing a new CMOS battery be a viable option or does the CMOS have nothing to do with this booting problem?

Sorry for the double post, but after playing around with the boot options I came across the BIOS and did a test on the Hard Drive that is called "Smart Short Self Test".. After about 5 seconds into the test, it says "Self Test Status Value: 7 (Completed with the read element of the test failed."

After doing some research, a lot of the google searches indicated that this is a sign the hard drive is failing. Not sure if this is the problem, but this that's another sign it is possibly the hard drive.

Yes, that is an indication of a failing hard drive, so go ahead and replace it when you can...

Back