Computer wont boot up, makes clicking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSaNeO

Hey guys, When i goto start my computer it makes a weird clicking noise, and gets no signal to the monitor. When i unplug the video card and plug it back in, it will boot up. But recently taking out the video card hasn't been working. Last night i took out the card and hooked the monitor up to the onboard video slot. It worked fine. and so i figured the videocard had went bad in it. But this morning I got up and went to turn on the computer and the same clicking noise with no monitor signal. The clicking noise is very fast, and you can tell the computer isnt booting up. Anyone have any suggestions? Bad powersupply?

Other hardware could be bad.

Modem,ethernet,cd-rom,burner,memory,power supply,speakers,mouse and keyboard are all suspects as well as hard drive. You may have to pull them out one by one until you find out which one is causing the problem.
It may be more than one. It may be your board too.
Good luck!

BTW id like to just say, dont ever buy a sony. I looked up a replacement board for the sonyvaio PSV-rs320 and its $240 for a board thats five years old. And, since they drill the holes differently into their mobos and cases, you cant get another one. Also, u cant swap the power supply unless you get a micro psu. All around, the sony's are good if you just buy them and never mess with them, just use it till its dead, but if your looking for a comp that you can upgrade in a few years, forget sony. Thanks for all your help guys

I haven't really heard too much issues with PSUs other than E-machines. Micro-ATX form computers sometimes use cheaper grade components (E-machines are perfect example). However, I wouldn't put it out of the possibility with other brands like Sony. Sony tends to be a more reliable brand. 5 years old is pretty old for a computer anyway. I am running a 4 year old toshiba laptop with no issues. Still got the original battery. But I upgraded the ram and HD a long time ago.

But as far as PSUs go, 5 years is a long time. If your system is on 24/7 expect a PSU to lose about 30% capacity in 1 to 2 years due to capacitor aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back