Computer won't start with SATA drive

pooky7774

hi all
i use to have a quad core gaming rig but i got the great idea to sell that on ebay and use my parents old e-machine computer. this is were the problem(s) start,first i had a wd green 1tb drive in my quad core rig which i kept prior to selling with the plans to put it in the e-machine since it has a copy of windows 7 64 it (professional) when i swithed the hard drives putting the 1tb sata drive in the e-machine i get a error message saying the computer was unable to start but then if i go back to the old 160gig ide drive (origionaly in e-machine) it oots just fine.

second issue at random times the e-machine will just freeze up on web pages,or when switching tabs,ect iam thinking this is a sign of a failing power supply am i correct?

computer specs
pentium 4 3.06 dual core
1 gig ddr memory
160 gig western digital ide drive
lg lightscribe sata optical drive
250 watt power supply
intel r 82865g graphics controler
windows xp 32 bit home edition service pack 3 (buid2600)

any help would be greatly appriciated before this tower takes a plane ride without a parachute if ya know what i mean?

Hi

XP NT VISTA or W7 wont load up on a machine its not built on.

Secondly

Emachines are a pile of Sh**e and you should let it take a ride without a parachute.

i prolly should junk it i just thought maybe i could save a pos from the electronics greaveyard but it might be beyond help

And, you need to have a Pentium 4 processor from the 6xx series or higher to run 64bit check your systems compatability online here: Your memory of 1GB is the very minimum needed.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

As above, you cannot run an OS that was installed on another PC in a different PC. You would have to run a repair install and replace all the chipset drivers and the drivers for any other hardware. If the Windows 7 64bit OS was preinstalled and is OEM you cannot transfer it to any other PC. If you do install it on the e-machine you will need to re-register it with Microsoft.

the edition of windows 7 is a legal install purchased after the computer was loaded with vista
i was under the understanding that since the windows 7 wasnt factory that it would be regestered to that hard drive nomatter what system i instaled it in d**m microsoft

Installing with a different motherboard and CPU will be enough to trigger the need to re-register. This is built in to windows 7 to stop it being installed on different machines.

I would check the compatibility using the link I gave in post 4 before you consider anything else, that can be done straight away before you change anything. Is the CPU series 6xx or higher?? if not it won't run 64bit.

If all is OK then a clean install would be the least problematic way to proceed. You will then have to get Windows 7 64bit drivers for all the hardware, I would make quite sure you can get them first, either from the e-machines site or from the manufacturers site for each individual component.

i have gave up and went ahead and replaced the motherboard with a msi p67 b3 version a i7 960 cpu 16 gigs of ddr3 sector 7 ram 1000w corsair power supply and a wd 3tb internal hard drive plus a seagate 3tb hard drive set in raid thanks for the advice guys

Back