Computer won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a computer problem, but I'm not sure what it is. My computer turned off without warning the day after I built it. I overclocked the processor from 3.0 ghz to 3.2. I was watching my CPU's temperature seconds before it turned off, and it was at 53' C (usually stays around 45). My motherboard's LED light still stays on when the power is plugged in. Sometimes when I try to turn it on, my fans and lights will turn on momentarily and then shut off again, excluding the CPU fan. I tried tightening all the connections and reseting the BIOS. Did I damage my CPU or is my power insufficient?

Motherboard: Asus M3N78 Pro
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 89W
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: GeForce 9600 GT
PSU: 585 watt
HDD: WD 320 GB
One DVD drive

what is the brand and model of the PSU? just it is rated at 585 watts means nothing. set the BIOS to default ant see if it helps.

If there wasn't a processor in the system, would it still boot or can it cause the computer to not turn on at all?

if the processor is out u get nothing, just like u are saying, but the processor is not burnt up. it might be faulty as nothing that can be built is perfect. no I am not suggesting that as the life of the average processor is 10 years.

Ah, ok. I'm about convinced now that the CPU is not at fault. From researching around I'm noticing that heat damage occurs more over time and it can cause crashes. I'm going to try to replace my power supply and see what happens. Lights flicking on momentarily seems to be a sign of power supply failure, from what I've read. Yet, if it's the PSU, then how could it have powered my old motherboard? If it's insignificant power then how was I using it for the computer before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back