Confused about RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix86

Ok, so i'm looking to update the RAM for my computer. I'm having a problem deciding on the RAM I should get as I have no idea the difference between the 2 i'm looking at.

Option A:
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Brand Kingston
Series ValueRAM
Model KVR400AK2/2GR
Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Cas Latency 3
Timing 3-3-3
Voltage 2.6V
Heat Spreader No
=============================
Option B:
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Brand Kingston
Series ValueRAM
Model KVR400X64C3AK2/2G
Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Cas Latency 3
Voltage 2.6V

What is the difference between these 2? One says "Dual Channel Desktop" and the other just "System Memory." The later costs about $10 extra. Keep in mind that all I really do on my Dell Dimension 3000 is audio recording (making my own cd's using multitracking). So in knowing that I run recording software along with music notation software, which of these two would be better for what I do? I'm just not sure of the difference. Thanks!

There really isnt too much of a difference but i would go for the first one, since its cheaper and you mabey are on a budget, but you will love the upgrade. Enjoy.

Their is no difference between the two; just the description - the first one is indicating this is a kit or more than one stick of memory and it is for a desktop; the second one is saying the same thing; the dual channel is indicating that if your motherboard supports dual channel memory; it will run in dual-channel mode.

According to wikipedia, Dual-channel architecture is a technology implemented on motherboards by the motherboard manufacturer and does not apply to memory modules. Theoretically any matched pair of memory modules may be used in either single- or dual-channel operation, provided the motherboard supports this architecture. Here is a wikipedia article about dual channel memory - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back