Connecting to Xbox Live through Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narey

Here is what I know:
I know that you can connect to xboxlive by plugging the xbox into the pc via ethernet and bridging the connection with your wireless internet connection on your pc. (Wireless because pcs generally only have one ethernet port).

My problem:
My university does not allow consols to connect to the wired internet (there is no wireless). My computer is connected to the internet via ethernet.

My question:
If I buy a USB to Etethernt converter for my pc and plug the xbox in there will I be able to have 2 connections running, 1. pc -> internet, 2. pc -> xbox. And if I were to bridge those connections would my xbox be able to go online?

Thanks to anyone who knows or helps.

I'm not sure what kind of restrictions your university has put forth to disallow consoles from getting online but two ideas to share the net connection would be: 1) a router, or 2) get a second Ethernet card for your PC so you can have the Xbox connecting strictly through your PC.

Once again, that might not be enough if the system admins are blocking specific ports or domains but you can always try.

The university are using resnet if that gives you any more info?

Aslo is there any difference in buying another network card and buying a usb ethernet port?

I would advise against a USB to Ethernet converter, especially for gaming. Juloi's suggestion of a router would be the easiest to get working, though a little more expensive than buying another NIC as he suggests as the second option. I would suggest that you not get a wireless router as I know of at least a couple of universities that search out "rogue" wireless networks and shut them down in dormitories. If you do go for the NIC, be sure to remember that you will need a crossover Ethernet cable to connect the xbox directly to the PC, not a standard Ethernet patch cable.

Is it possible to use a router having it plugged into the pc rather then being plugged into the internet ethernet port on the wall? Because the port on the wall must be plugged directly into the computer to recieve the net.

Haha guys I did it! I am quite proud of myself because everyone last year was trying to figure it out and couldn't. The way to do it is to buy a USB to ethernet adapter for the pc and have both the xbox and the internet connected. Just then turn ICS on and it should just about work. Worth going on to www.xbox.com/pcsetup to make sure you have all the software.

(For anyone else who ever has the same problem)

there are two Xbox's {Live vs 360}

one of them requires port forwarding and the other does not (I don't have the ref material at hand just now).

so you need:
  1. the xbox w/o need of port forwarding
  2. to change your xbox port from the standard default
(2) is necessary as the school will certainly block those ports if they are seriously restricting gaming :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back