Connectivity Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralvarez

So a few computers a network are having connectivity issues. They keep loosing connectivity at random times to the network, internet and printers. We just changed the switch. Not sure what to do next. It happens randomly. One computer will still be working, but another will loose connectivity. We have to restore the connection, then it works. What would you recommend? Updating the network card drivers?

I had something like this happen and it was due to the wall outlet plugs having bad connections to the network cabling in the walls.

It is going to be pretty difficult for anyone to offer you decent suggestions though without a much better understanding of your network topology and the various devices you have attached to it.

Its an older network 10+ years. We are using a sonicwall firewall and 2 switches attached to a server and a modem. From the switches we have all the cabling run to wall plugs. Do you think a network cable tester will be able to see if its bad wall plugs? Do you think I should try to change a couple of the wall plugs?

LAN Master tool or toner to test the lan jacks back to the new switch. Shutdown everything and then turn it back on. All network systems should be rebooted.

LAN Master tool or toner to test the lan jacks back to the new switch. Shutdown everything and then turn it back on. All network systems should be rebooted.

If the company had a Lan Master tool it would have already been done. Unfortunatly we don't have any lan tools.

If the company had a Lan Master tool it would have already been done. Unfortunatly we don't have any lan tools.

LAN master just lets you connect one endpoint to the other enpoint then use the toner to trance the connections. Still you must have some sort of toner. If your in the US or Canada, any Home Depot will sell the toner but not going to be fancy but should run $40 US or $50 CA. When last did you guys change out the Ethernet cables? Does all the activty lights show up on the switch when the system computers are on? You need to have one guy near the switch with 2-way radio or phone and then the other guy would be near the system computer and see which one is making the connection. This is the cheap way to go though and it will take time.

When last did you guys change out the Ethernet cables?
I don't think it has ever been done since we moved in the office. Hence why I said 10+ years.

Does all the activty lights show up on the switch when the system computers are on?
Not sure. I will have to check that. I do know all the activity lights do show up on the switch when the computers are on. But those computers in specific that loose connectivity, I would have to see if its light up when they loose connectivity.

I might have to buy a toner from home depot.

Best to buy the toner, should be where they sell Ethernet cables. You should tell who ever owns the company that the LAN jacks under the employee desks that runs back to the switch need to be checked out. You should be running Cat5e. What switch did you get? Cisco 3750 or another brand. 10/100 or 10/100/1000?

Best to buy the toner, should be where they sell Ethernet cables. You should tell who ever owns the company that the LAN jacks under the employee desks that runs back to the switch need to be checked out. You should be running Cat5e. What switch did you get? Cisco 3750 or another brand. 10/100 or 10/100/1000?

I wish I could get the company to buy me a toner. I had to buy my own computer tools to fix broken computers!!!
We have a 3 Com switch running now. Before we had a Cisco that died on us.
We are running Cat5e cables. I might just spend my money to go buy a toner this weekend. I need to get this issue resolved soon. I think it has to be the network jacks.

I wish I could get the company to buy me a toner. I had to buy my own computer tools to fix broken computers!!!
We have a 3 Com switch running now. Before we had a Cisco that died on us.
We are running Cat5e cables. I might just spend my money to go buy a toner this weekend. I need to get this issue resolved soon. I think it has to be the network jacks.

Could be the jacks, without the toner it's a guessing game. Another way to do it is to use a Laptop connect that to the jack make sure at the other end it's connected to the port you think is good or bad. Since you're in VA keep your receipts and when you do your taxes you can put down you had purchased supplies for work. Don't forget your cloths too. If you use your car to get stuff for the company put that too on the taxes it's a write off. Deductions help.

before you spend $$ and weeks testing the pin-outs on every walljack,

1) make sure all users clients are using DHCP and only your servers have STATIC
ip addresses.

2) get all users to log date/time of any disconnections; maybe there's a pattern and/or
just a few users are experiencing the symptoms -- easier to fix than rewiring the whole site :)

Well he doesn't have to re-wire since they have already have that done. Could be bad jacks at the user desk. Could bad ports also even on new switch.

Not much you can do the today if the company is not productive due to faulty network gear jacks included :)

before you spend $$ and weeks testing the pin-outs on every walljack,

1) make sure all users clients are using DHCP and only your servers have STATIC
ip addresses.

2) get all users to log date/time of any disconnections; maybe there's a pattern and/or
just a few users are experiencing the symptoms -- easier to fix than rewiring the whole site :)

The servers are using Static IP and clients are using DHCP.
I will ask the users to give me times when this happens so I can look at their event viewer.

Static IP is correct and clients should be DHCP

Prior to the switch change did those users have the same issue?
Why did you change out the switch? Did the prior switch start to give you issues?
Telnet into that switch and check the ports settings and make sure they're set to Auto.

Prior to the switch change did those users have the same issue? Yes

Why did you change out the switch? The last switch just died. (stopped working)

Did the prior switch start to give you issues? No. It died.

Telnet into that switch and check the ports settings and make sure they're set to Auto. Ok. Will try that next time I am at that office. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back