Consistent Lag Across Platforms

sadbluescreener

Good day all,

I have a Gateway ID490C7u (http://www.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-id49c07u/4505-3121_7-34121937.html) in front of me that was notoriously slow on Windows 7 x64. Specs are as follows:

• Processor Name: Intel Core i3-350M @ 2266.7 MHz
  • Motherboard Model: Acer ID49
  • Motherboard Chipset: Intel HM55 (IbexPeak-M DH)
  • BIOS Vendor: Gateway
  • BIOS Version: V1.00
  • Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
I reinstalled Windows and it was the same issue, so I dual-booted Ubuntu and still it persists. I can't imagine what could be slowing it down on both operating systems. It lags randomly. I've run memtest and it reported no errors. What could it be? Any suggestions?

For instance, I'll enter characters on the keyboard and it's like the entire OS skips a beat and doesn't register that I've entered anything. Also while navigating through Windows and Ubuntu explorer, there are random moments where everything slows to a halt and nothing will proceed. The computer is under no duress at these moments, and these are fresh installs of each operating system. It is truly odd.

Review the BIOS settings - - you do NOT want to see PIO for disk operations

I've looked at the BIOS and everything seems in order. I installed the AHCI and Intel chipset drivers from Gateway's website but still no improvement. I also updated the BIOS from v1.00 to v1.07.

I've attached some pictures of the BIOS. They were taken before the BIOS update but there are no differences in the BIOS menu.

Attachments

• IMG_20140413_121345.jpg
    IMG_20140413_121345.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20140413_121359.jpg
    IMG_20140413_121359.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Sounds like an HDD problem to me, but that's taking a stab in the dark.

Run some diagnostics on HDD: chkdsk etc

Sounds like an HDD problem to me, but that's taking a stab in the dark.

Run some diagnostics on HDD: chkdsk etc
I had previously run different HDD diagnostics from vendors like WD and SeaGate and they reported nothing. Chkdsk was run also. I'll do them again but I do not expect different results. Unfortunately, I don't currently have another HD to test with it.

Back