Console war heats up as Microsoft reveals Xbox One release date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

console microsoft xbox sony release date playstation 4 gaming console xbox one console war xbox one release date

Microsoft’s Xbox One will be released on November 22, a full week before Sony’s PlayStation 4 hits retail in most regions. The one exception is in North America where the PlayStation 4 is slated to launch on November 15.

The Xbox One will initially be available in 13 countries – Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, the UK and the US. Remaining markets won’t see the Xbox One until sometime in early 2014, Microsoft said.

The imminent launch sets up the first new console war since 2006 with this battle looking more intense than ever. Both systems will be launching before Black Friday, the day following Thanksgiving Day in the US, which is often regarded as the beginning of the holiday shopping season. Of course, with both machines likely to be sold out well before then, it’s not likely to have much of an impact on the already chaotic day.

Yusuf Mehdi, Xbox’s marketing vice president, said the Xbox One is the culmination of many years of listening to Xbox fans, developing innovative technology and partnering with the best game and entertainment partners in the industry. He said there is still a lot more work to do but the teams are making excellent progress and are focused on the launch.

Sales of the Xbox One will top the debut of the Xbox 360, Yusuf said, although he declined to get into any specific figures.

Permalink to story.

Am sure the folks at M$oft is holding their breath, hoping this device wont be a train wreck with such last minute tweaks and changes.

I can certainly appreciate that Microsoft wants to stick with tradition, but I think with Microsoft's missteps (not to mention its higher price) I think it would have been more prudent to release it earlier than Sony just to get a good jump on them.

Regardless, my November is set. My Xbox One is nearly paid off and I'm buying the PS4 at full cost.

"Yusuf Mehdi, Xbox?s marketing vice president, said the Xbox One is the culmination of many years of listening to Xbox fans"

Yeahh... right... with all those changes made at the last minute...

"Yusuf Mehdi, Xbox?s marketing vice president, said the Xbox One is the culmination of many years of listening to Xbox fans,"

This can't be true, no way did Xbox fans ask for a higher price, DRM Riddled, Kinect bound, almost forced Subscription, under-spec'ed machine? No way in hell did they. Either that or when they say "Xbox fans" they really mean "ourselves".

Yeah, just like Windows 8 was the culmination of many years of listening to Windows fans. That guy should be a car salesman. He's full of bologna.

""Yusuf Mehdi, Xbox?s marketing vice president, said the Xbox One is the culmination of many years of listening to Xbox fans"

Microsoft only cared about their bottom line, that's why the company did a 180 and removed those features for their new console. People should know that through patches, Microsoft can enable them again because the hardware already supports it.

Back