Constant BSODs in new build PC

Leeky

Hey peeps, :)

I've been piecing together a new system so I can retire my Q6600 setup, but I seem to be having huge issues with BSOD's.

The system:

Asus M5AA78L LE AM3+ motherboard
AMD Phenom 1055T (@stock) with Corsair H50 (push/pull config)
8GB G.Skill Ripjaw (red) DDR3 1600 RAM (2x matched kits of 2x 2GB Sticks)
Asus HD4870 1GB GDDR5 DK Edition GPU
600w temp PSU
Coolermaster HAF 912+ case

Issues:

1. RAM timings setup automatically, but voltage and frequency werent. So manually set to correct frequency, and voltage set manually to 1.5v - I have tried all on auto, and manual and it makes no difference. It does seem a little bit more stable now they're manually set, but it is still rebooting on me randomly.
2. System will crash during the extracting stage of W7 setup, and will reboot. It does it randomly. Sometimes it can complete setup, sometimes I have to remove all but one stick to make it work.
3. It is rebooting while in W7 randomly, though it occurs when I load the memory as far as I can tell.

I had these issues with a new build previously in March time, but suspected it was a faulty motherboard, and sent it for a refund. It was showing the same signs and issues then as well - identical in every respect, so I have ruled out the possibility of the new motherboard being faulty.

I have run memtest on all 4 sticks, and in sets of two, and individually, and they all complete several full passes without any failure running at the recommended frequency, timing and voltage.

Mini-dumps have been attached, as I am unable to read them still. Do they show are particular sign of memory being the issue?

G.Skill's RMA process is really long winded, and they are already threatening me with having to pay the full cost if they aren't faulty - in fairness Memtest is telling me they're OK though.

I'm wondering if its CPU related, but in my experience they either work, or they don't. Excluding RAM I'm not at a loss as to the issue, so some advice would be really appreciated. :)

Mindumps attached. :)

Cheers all,

Leeky

Attachments

• 4 Minidumps.zip
    43.2 KB · Views: 3
Your errors are the same 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Three of four dumps simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

But Leeky you are the very first exception to the rule I have ever dealt with concerning 0x124 errors because they never give a definitive cause but in your case memory corruption was specifically cited as the cause in the fourth dump. How many Passes of Memtest did you run?

It did 8 passes on Memtest overnight with all 4 sticks installed without a single error. Yet the system barely runs before rebooting.

The only changes from the previous 24/7 stable build are the motherboard, CPU and the RAM. Everything else was previously in use and absolutely fine. Indeed I'm back on my Q6600 system now and its running rock solid.

Is it possible the RAM is faulty, yet still passes Memtest and shows no signs during testing of being an issue?

I know its not the motherboard as the first motherboard I received previously displayed the same problems and I assumed that was the cause then.

The only other two items that have changed are the CPU and the RAM. I''m unable to test the old RAM as its DDR2 unfortunately. G.Skill are actually saying if its not found to be faulty I will be charged accordingly.

Would you be confident with the assumption (given your results from my dump files) and the information I'd provided in assuming the issue is indeed RAM?

Thank you for taking the time to read my dump files Route44 :)

EDIT: While I was having issues installing a fresh copy of W7 (it was crashing during the expand files stage) I found it actually seemed more stable when I removed all but 1 stick of RAM during the setup process. If I tried to install W7 with all 4 sticks inserted it would BSOD before 10% every time. Now W7 is installed it back to 4 sticks, but no matter how many are used, it will still randomly reboot. It just seems to do it faster with all of them in.

I've tried swapping them around around, and the effect is still the same.

Just to update this, I've sent an RMA request to G.Skill to have my RAM replaced under warranty. I borrowed some DDR3 from a friend and my system worked immediately without any errors or crashing at all.

So clearly there is an issue with the RAM.

Thank you Route44; for your advice and the time taken to inspect my minidumps, it is appreciated.

You are quite welcome, Leeky. I am sorry I didn't respond to your question about memtest and bad RAM passing it. The answer is, yes, on occasion bad RAM has been known to Pass from time to time.

G.Skill makes good memory. I'll be interested to know how the new set works out.

Just to bring this to a close. Thanks for taking the time to read my logs and provide some advice Route44; and sorry on my part for the late response.

I contacted G.Skill, and they want me to RMA them to Taiwan, which having checked the cost its less money to order a new 8GB set. So I've ordered some Corsair RAM this time, and should have them by tues/weds to then run it.

I contacted G.Skill, and they want me to RMA them to Taiwan, which having checked the cost its less money to order a new 8GB set. So I've ordered some Corsair RAM this time, and should have them by tues/weds to then run it.

Really?! Wow, I never knew this is what you would have to do for RAM. I like G.Skill. I've used it in builds along with Kingston and Crucial. Then again even the best can ship bad memory. Let us know how the Corsair works.

And on a side note I just want to say that I really appreciate your work on TS. You are very helpful.

Yeah, here is where I've been asked to send them, all at my own expense...

ATTN: G.Skill RMA# __(Your RMA number)__
8F, No. 69, Dongxing Rd., Xinyi Dist.
11070 Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
+886-2-27667889

They also told me they wouldn't guarantee that 2 sets would work together, and I shouldn't use them like that, I should order the total amount as one matched set, otherwise if it doesn't work its not there problem. :haha:

Sod it, its easier just ordering up new RAM and accepting it tbh.

And thank you, it's humbling to hear you hold me in such high regards. Thank you Route44.

Back