Constant Crashing + Hardware Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivermyst

Hello all,

I just recently spent a chunk of my life's precious savings on a new computer, and put windows 7 on it, because why not?

Well, ever since day 1, it has been freezing constantly, once every few hours when I am in the middle of using the computer (will not freeze if left alone for any amount of time)

Checking the event logger, I get an Error at the time of the crash.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error
Processor ID: 0

When I restart this dialog box is displayed.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA8007A4A8F8
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

I have asked around, and no one I've asked can come to a consensus on what the problem is. Some say it's the RAM, some say the motherboard, some say the CPU or PSU.

If any further information is needed, please let me know. I want to solve this issue while I can still return some components...

Thanks.

Both 0x9C (XP code) and 0x124 (Vista error code that has replaced the 0x9C) errors are very difficult to pin down because it can be any hardware you have.

Please see this thread whereby I tried to help someone fix his issue. It is long and he has not responded in a week but it will give you ideas on the diagnostics you can perform: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic135687.html

I can't find any drive diagnostic software for my particular hard drive on the Western Digital site, so I suppose I will run memtest... for 4 sticks of RAM. This should be fun. I hope it's the RAM, that's easy enough to replace...

So far I tested 2 sticks of RAM.

One came back error-free after 7 passes, the second one errored before the first pass.

I tried running with only the error free stick, and my computer froze yet again.

So is it safe to assume that the RAM isn't the cause of the problem?

When it comes to these two errors I never want to give a definitive "yes" until stability has been achieved.

Good work using Memtest. If you get any errors on a RAM stick it needs to be replaced. You may want to check to see if your BIOS has set your memory voltage to the correct setting per the manufacturer's specs. We have seen alot of memory errors due to this issue rather than corruption.

For Western Digital harddrives you want their Lifeguard utility. Do a search and you should easily find it.

I had manually entered in the voltages/timings per manufacturers' specifications before the last crash, so I don't think that is the problem (however I did not do this before running memtest. Maybe I should run it again on those 2 sticks?)

And I'll run the lifeguard utility ASAP.

Look forward to your Lifeguard reads.

Question: Do you only get BSODs while playing games since you went to one stick of RAM.

Also, please give us your hardware specs including make and model of motherboard and make, amount, and type of RAM installed.

Hello... sorry I did not respond sooner with the Lifeguard reads. My father got angry with me "constantly trying to fix the damn thing" and took it in to be repaired. There they apparently "Fixed an error on the hard drive" but did not specify further.

Needless to say, this did not fix it at all. So at this point I think it's safe to rule out the hard drive and RAM...

Today I was reminded (by my computer crashing) that on occasion when it crashes the cursor will resize to a 800x600 resolution cursor briefly before disappearing from my screen.

Another crash was caused when I opened up Ableton Live, and attempted to play a note in a VST. It froze immediately...

I will probably perform a lifeguard utility test and post the results tomorrow...

Could be a video card issue, possible ethernet/NIC issue.

Did you ask what they corrected on your harddrive and more importantly how?

Could be a video card issue, possible ethernet/NIC issue.

Did you ask what they corrected on your harddrive and more importantly how?

Apparently the technician had "Fixed some corrupt sectors", as far as I recall. That was about as in-depth as it got. I don't know if this was done with the lifeguard utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back