Control developer Remedy doubled operating profits in 2020 without launching a new game

Polycount

Staff
Long-tail sales: While many game developers release their projects with the expectation of selling the majority of copies in the first few weeks of release, some titles become major long-term successes. These rare gems can earn their makers buckets of cash far beyond their initial release date. The Witcher 3 and Grand Theft Auto V are two examples of these games, and now, Control has officially joined their ranks.

Despite releasing back in August of 2019, the surreal shooter's developer, Remedy Entertainment, doubled its operating profits the year after release, in 2020. These long-tail sales have boosted the company's gains from €6.5 million to a whopping €13.2 million.

It's not hard to see why Control has done so well. Though the game released for PC in 2019, alongside console platforms, it was exclusive to the Epic Games Store (EGS). It wasn't until last year that the title finally arrived on other PC storefronts, including Steam.

That multiplatform launch finally opened up sales to entirely new audiences, some of which may have been vehemently against supporting the title via Epic's controversial platform.

Wider storefront availability aside, 2020 was also the year that Control received both of its major paid expansions; The Foundation and AWE. Their launch undoubtedly helped contribute to Remedy's bottom line, both through direct DLC sales, and increased attention for the base game. And, as of August 2020, Control's Ultimate Edition went on sale, bundling all of the game's post-launch content into one cohesive package.

Remedy's massive financial success is made even more impressive by the fact that the studio hasn't even released a new game yet: its 2020 profit spike is almost entirely due to increased sales from previously-launched titles. To that end, we'll be curious to see whether or not Remedy can pull off a hat-trick in 2021, with Control driving yet another year of record profits.

Permalink to story.

Why is the epic game store controversial? I mean I love steam because it has good features and is easy to use but what's the big deal about having another choice? I'm sure as computer enthusiasts we don't just buy from one source for components either.
Because the Epic store buys exclusives that limits choice for everyone else. Stop being disingenuous.

I have no issues with EGS, other people seem to have thought.

My dilemma is, why is this game so much talked about? Because of RTX? Because I find the story and characters and even gamplay not interesting at all and the RTX side not really that impressive at all. I think the only thing I like is the physics and object destruction and all that is related to them. Nothing else.

I somehow have the same feeling and view on this new game, The Medium, minus the plus on the physics side which it does not have. That two worlds rendering simultaneously, might be an interesting concept, but the execution is meh and the performance halved because of it. Two boring unimpressive games for me.

Anyway this is otherwise good news. Hopefully it has them thinking "if we made double the money we made on Epic in our second year, how much more could we have made if we hadn't been exclusive to them at launch when the hype was greatest?"

Because the Epic store buys exclusives that limits choice for everyone else. Stop being disingenuous.
Stop telling me what I'm thinking. I was asking a simple question. You could have stopped with the first sentence. I don't know about those things because I buy games that are years old for the discounts. I think the last game I bought when it first came out was in the Xbox 360 generation. Lol.

Stop telling me what I'm thinking. I was asking a simple question. You could have stopped with the first sentence. I don't know about those things because I buy games that are years old for the discounts. I think the last game I bought when it first came out was in the Xbox 360 generation. Lol.
I made the accusation because that very issue is raised by the article, unless you feel being accused of having low reading comprehension is better. If anything I was being generous.

And it does make a difference, especially for low-replay value story-driven games. Who is going to bother waiting for a year vs. watching a lets play? What are the chances that they're going to avoid story spoilers for an entire year?

I have no issues with EGS, other people seem to have thought.

My dilemma is, why is this game so much talked about? Because of RTX? Because I find the story and characters and even gamplay not interesting at all and the RTX side not really that impressive at all. I think the only thing I like is the physics and object destruction and all that is related to them. Nothing else.

I somehow have the same feeling and view on this new game, The Medium, minus the plus on the physics side which it does not have. That two worlds rendering simultaneously, might be an interesting concept, but the execution is meh and the performance halved because of it. Two boring unimpressive games for me.

I never understood the hype about Control either (though I do suspect a significant amount of it was manufactured).

Tried Control for a bit a few months ago, and feels like an extremely outdated game in all aspects. It looks, feels and plays like a title originally made in early 2000s for PS2/OG Xbox, that was cancelled at last minute when it was ready to release and stayed locked in a vault for 15 ~ 18 years, then released as it was with only small visual upgrades to character models and lighting plus the RTX gimmick. Maybe this old school feel is why some people liked it (not a good kind of old school though - it feels like a mediocre generic third person shooter from that era), though I've never seen anyone raising this as an argument.

I'm surprised I haven't heard about this game despite having been on ts so often over the years

might as well give it a try since the ultimate edition is free (on ps+) until march. great timing I guess lol

Last edited:
I made the accusation because that very issue is raised by the article, unless you feel being accused of having low reading comprehension is better. If anything I was being generous.

And it does make a difference, especially for low-replay value story-driven games. Who is going to bother waiting for a year vs. watching a lets play? What are the chances that they're going to avoid story spoilers for an entire year?
[/QUOTE
Yeah yeah. You are obviously a genius with a much better comprehension of everything than I have. How dare I breath your oxygen. Unless you are a little child who has to peak at their Christmas gifts it's very easy not to worry about spoilers, you simply don't look at them if you are that worried about it.
Why come here and be confrontational? Are you perfect all of the time? It didn't click when I read through the article about the exclusivity part because I have seen control offered on other places but I see now it was just recently so if that is a crime then by all means call the authorities.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah. You are obviously a genius with a much better comprehension of everything than I have. How dare I breath your oxygen. Unless you are a little child who has to peak at their Christmas gifts it's very easy not to worry about spoilers, you simply don't look at them if you are that worried about it.
Why come here and be confrontational? Are you perfect all of the time? It didn't click when I read through the article about the exclusivity part because I have seen control offered on other places but I see now it was just recently so if that is a crime then by all means call the authorities.
The defense of many Epic shills tends to hinge on ignoring the issue of paid exclusives or pretending it isn't really an issue. If you sincerely weren't aware of them, then I apologize for the offense.

Thank you. I'm sorry too, I'm just having a bad day. Lol. It does suck when they do that crap because it shows they don't really care about gamers getting the games, just that they get them from them. It's the whole reason I've only owned one playstation in my life. I don't get why devs would do that anyways because you would think they would want more people to have access to their games. I just personally don't see it on pc because like I said I buy them at least a year after they have released, usually more. I don't play often so a game takes a while for me because I get frustrated because my hands are disabled now. It sucks. I'm from the NES generation. I used to be able to do speed runs of super mario bros and had all the jumps timed out. Lol.

I never understood the hype about Control either (though I do suspect a significant amount of it was manufactured).

Tried Control for a bit a few months ago, and feels like an extremely outdated game in all aspects. It looks, feels and plays like a title originally made in early 2000s for PS2/OG Xbox, that was cancelled at last minute when it was ready to release and stayed locked in a vault for 15 ~ 18 years, then released as it was with only small visual upgrades to character models and lighting plus the RTX gimmick. Maybe this old school feel is why some people liked it (not a good kind of old school though - it feels like a mediocre generic third person shooter from that era), though I've never seen anyone raising this as an argument.

To each to their own.

I much rather play this than the countless Call of Duty/Battlefield or the likes of Fortnite/Pubg or the infamous & overhyped Cyberpunk.

To each to their own.

I much rather play this than the countless Call of Duty/Battlefield or the likes of Fortnite/Pubg or the infamous & overhyped Cyberpunk.
I don't play COD/BF/Fortnite, etc either, but I require a more in depth and just overall better experience from an action-story type RPG game than Control can ever offer me.
The likes of Horizon ZD, GoW, Uncharted and others of that quality (not TLOU2 though, except that garbage). Even Quantum Break was better.

To each to their own.

Who said anything about these, though? There are many other options. I mostly play simulators, Japanese titles, 5+ year old titles and indies nowadays.

That would explain why you consider Control to feel like "an early 2000s game with small visual upgrades"...

Yep, I LIKE old school style games. To not miss the opportunity for this jab you conveniently ignored the part where I said,

(not a good kind of old school though - it feels like a mediocre generic third person shooter from that era)

It reminded me of one of those AA and A generic third person action games from that era, such as Matrix: Path of Neo, Headhunter, Dead to Rights, The Punisher, RLH: Run Like Hell, etc. Even the physics-based gameplay gimmick screams mid 2000s.

Control is your typical made for last gen console trash. Half the game is straight up FMV. The rest is repetitive combat. The ending feels like the beginning. The DLC feels like the actual game has started. Every "plot" unfolds into another pointless dead end of mystery. I straight up hate the game for taking a really cool idea and ruining it.

I like Remedy, I really do. I had the good fortune to visit their studio many years ago, and spend a few hours chatting with Markus Maki, who's still there, and Petri Järvilehto (who left to join Rovio, before forming his own games company). Both super nice people, highly knowledgeable, and very creative. I've owned all their games, bar Death Rally, and have fond memories of their Final Reality tool.

I have the utmost admiration for the artists and programmers; they do almost everything in-house. But other than Max Payne 1 & 2, I've not finished anything else they done (although admittedly, it's not a lot). Max 3 just felt like a grind, Alan Wake just came across as an interactive novel, and Quantum Break left me cold.

Control started well, but then just ground on and on, cutscene after cutscene. The same battles, with the same tactics, with the same tropes being churned out. I'm sure the stories in all of the games I haven't finished have great endings, but I have just no desire to work through it all to find them.

Still, as the company is doing well, the games must obviously appeal to plenty of people. But just like I haven't enjoyed a Metallica album after Justice, but still keep buying them all, I have no doubt I'll get Remedy's next one. When it's on sale, of course...

Back