Control your garage door opener from your smartphone with Wi-Fi connected Garageio

Shawn Knight

Staff member

garageio smartphone garage door opener

Joining products like the Nest Learning Thermostat and the Protect smoke detector among the Internet of things is a garage door opener add-on from Alottazs Labs known as the Garageio. The device promises to turn your ordinary garage door opener into a Wi-Fi connected unit the whole family can use.

Installation of the Garageio kit takes about 20 minutes and works alongside your existing keypad and remote openers. Better yet, one Garageio Blackbox can control up to three separate garage doors from different manufactures.

Once installed, simply download the Garageio app on your smartphone and complete the setup process. Up to 10 users can be given access to a single Garageio at the same time which is more than enough for the average family and even friends and the babysitter.

In addition to simply being able to open or close your garage door from anywhere in the world, Garageio can alert you when your door is opened or closed and tell you who accessed the door and when. What’s more, the app can also alert you if you accidentally leave the door open.

This isn’t the first add-on smart garage device we’ve seen but unlike others already available, it uses Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth. The benefits of Wi-Fi over Bluetooth are numerous (improved range, ability to use it away from home, etc.).

Garageio will retail for $149 when it ships next month and it’s also worth pointing out there are no setup / activation fees nor are there any monthly subscription fees. It's available for pre-order as of writing.

Permalink to story.

Not going to be long and NSA will have full access to not only your computer, but your house too! :)

Not going to be long and NSA will have full access to not only your computer, but your house too! :)

Why is it I was going to say exactly the same thing?
Nevermind, this will also make it worlds easier for hackers to get into burglary. No obvious forced entry necessary and no one suspects a darn thing because hey, they knew how to get in your house without breaking anything.

I'd use this for the alerts if my door was left open. I'm in the habit of waiting in the driveway until I see the garage door shut. But there's been times when I slip down the street and don't recall watching the door come to a complete close and wonder.

Definitely a pointless technology for me. A lot of cars have built in garage opener and it would be faster to press that rather than swiping a few times to get to your app.

As for checking whether your garage is open or not, some home security vendors have that option if you buy the sensors from them.

To hell with garage door openers, thermostats, smoke detectors etc. The gizmo I'm waiting for is the toilet device/app that can control flushing & toilet paper consumption from a phone. Who knows, you might even get a deluxe model that can also wipe your keester.

Back