Controversial murder simulator Hatred is coming to the Nintendo Switch

midian182

Staff member
In context: Nintendo has long had a reputation for being a family-friendly company, shying away from anything too controversial. But that’s not the case when it comes to the Switch. There are some violent games available for the hybrid console, including Doom Eternal, and one of the most controversial titles in recent history is on its way: Hatred.

Hatred places you in the role of a very naughty and undoubtedly sad man who’s “deep rooted hatred” of humanity spurs him into killing a lot of people in his “genocide crusade.” It gained extra exposure when Valve removed it from Steam Greenlight, but that brought cries of censorship. Boss Gabe Newell quickly reinstated the game and apologized to developer Destructive Creations for the removal, saying it “wasn’t a good decision.”

Now, Destructive Creations, which insists Hatred is an answer to the “polite, colorful, politically correct” trends found in many games, has announced it’s coming to Switch. The game is one of only three to receive an ‘Adults Only’ rating for extreme violence, something Manhunt 2 and the unrelreased Thrill Kill can lay claim to, so it’ll be interesting to see if Hatred arrives on Nintendo’s eShop, which doesn’t allow games with that rating. Hatred could get a physical-only release, or it might have some of the more extreme content removed.

While one could argue whether Hatred makes its point about games being entertainment rather than a higher form of art, the problem is that it wasn’t a particularly good shooter. The repetitive nature earned it a Metascore of 43—4.7 from users—though Steam players were more forgiving, giving it a 'Mostly Positive' rating. We’ll have to wait and see how the murder simulator fares on the Switch.

Hatred might not be the only controversial game coming to Nintendo’s machine. It’s been reported that an interactive sequel to infamous 1980s horror Cannibal Holocaust is expected to launch on the Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC this November.

Permalink to story.

I haven't really followed Nintendo much, but I consider them the "disney" or "Hallmark" of gaming. How is this getting through the cracks?

Pure, demented evil can just go away (any evil, really). And we wonder why there are psychological issues in society? Many years ago the graphics made them detached from reality, but these developers are trying their best to make these games to be like reality. Sin is still sin even if it's just a thought.

I haven't really followed Nintendo much, but I consider them the "disney" or "Hallmark" of gaming. How is this getting through the cracks?

Pure, demented evil can just go away (any evil, really). And we wonder why there are psychological issues in society? Many years ago the graphics made them detached from reality, but these developers are trying their best to make these games to be like reality. Sin is still sin even if it's just a thought.

Its just a game man chill out

Its just a game man chill out

Uh, I am. Just stating facts. Are you comfortable with the killing sprees or something? As I said - it's the idea behind it. What I reference didn't used to happen. Movies and games desensitize people to violence. It's the same thing with identity theft. It used to be reported whenever it happened. Now it has to affect over a billion people to be noted? I guess we should just shrug our shoulders and let anything and everything happen? Speaking from someone who is very laid back.

Wow, this game is seriously dark about hating humanity. I don't think this game is worth releasing on Switch given Nintendo's reputation of being family friendly. What could they possibly achieve with this?

Last edited:
The sequel will be called Consequences.
Where you get arrested and spend a few days in a holding cell, then mixing between prison and the court where your low-paid defence does a poor job of protecting you, followed by the drive to the state penitentiary in slow, realtime. Followed by how you fill each day of the next 20 years of your miserable life in prison.
It's gonna be riveting.
Spoiler alert: On your last day, you get released, only for someone to shoot you in the head for revenge.

Back