Convoluded set of problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosoup4crr

So...this morning, I find that my computer is shut down, after having left it on last night. Strange...when I start it up, I get the CMOS prompt--and I go to the time and date settings (On the occasions when my computer has shut down in the past, the date/time are reset). However, on this occasion, the time and date are the same...which was confusing.

It starts up without incident. However, about 2 1/2 hours later...the computer gets a blue screen and shuts down. When I try to start it backup, I get a motherboard error 7F. This doesn't seem like a coincidence, considering when I looked up the stop error code that I got on the blue screen, it was 0X0000007F. I looked up the stop error code on this computer to find out that it often had to do with a hardware problem, many times a RAM problem.

So...I refigured the RAM in different slots...and this time, no motherboard error. BUT, i when starting up windows, I get the "one of your windows system configuration files is missing/corrupt. Put the windows CDROM in and press "r" in the setup to run repair." I put the CD in...nothing. I tried several different things. I played with the CMOS settings, thinking maybe the boot sequence was keeping it from working--no go. I'm not sure if the CDROM drive wasn't working (although, it definitely had power). I couldn't hear whether or not the CD was spinning successfully.

After repeated attempts at changing things around and rebooting, the motherboard eventually stopped sending monitor signals. No luck. Again, I tried reworking a few things...and eventually something VERY strange happened. At one point, when I started the computer up again, the digital motherboard error display clicked audibly...and the number display lit up and died down repeatedly. In addition, the LED lights from the on/off display on the front of the computer and the LED lights on my motherboard would click on and off in sequence with the motherboard display...almost like the computer was trying to start up and couldn't. Now...it's just completely dead.

I tried checking the motherboard battery...I took it out for a while, put it back in...still dead. I've removed all the RAM...still dead. I realize there's no easy fix here, haha. I'm just wondering what the problem is. Tonight, I realized that the reason the compute rshut down last night is because there was a power outage...so, I'm concerned that something fried multiple parts of my computer. Is it possible this is simply a problem with the power supply? Simply the motherboard? Or are there definitely multiple problems with different pieces of hardware?

what about the fact that NOTHING happens when I try and boot? Doesn't that point to a problem with the power supply or something? Not even the digital display on the motherboard lights up. I don't even make it to CMOS setup.

You have told us nothing about your computer... brand, model, age, configuration.... and what you have tried so far.

If a laptop, it could be the power adapter if you have totally depleted the battery.
Depending on the model, it could be a bad power socket on the motherboard.

From what you have told us so far, it could be just about anything... Liquid spilled into the keyboard... dropped computer, bad power supply, bad cmos battery, lightning strike or power surge from the electrical socket.

I thought I was pretty clear about what I'd tried in order to get it running again.

But, here are a few facts about the hardware if it helps.

AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 4400+
2.21 GHz, 2GB RAM
Geforce 7600 GT
ABIT AN8 32X motherboard

It's been running without a hardware problem (although, there was a problem involving it shutting down because of faulty nvidia firewall software a few months ago) for about 2 1/2 or 3 years.

You didn't mention three key components: Power supply, hard drive, optical drive, CPU cooling.
Very good, but very high mileage system, and you didn't describe the hard drive or detail the optical drive.
I would consider the need for heavy maintenance if you use it daily.
Replace the optical drive, as they rarely last longer than a year without significant degradation.
Replace the hard drive, making the current drive a slave.
Consider replacing the CPU Fan, and certainly remove the existing thermal past with denatured alcohol, and apply new layer of very thing thermal paste.
Altogether, you can do this for $85 plus shipping.
But it may be time to replace the power supply for $50 to $80, as well.
If cost is a consideration, do a planned set of upgrades, staring with the optical drive and CPU cooler.
Then upgrade your antivirus to Avast or Avira Antivir; spyware to Spysweeper, Spyware Doctor, SuperAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes. You need a minimum of two plus Windows Defender.
Clean the case. Maybe add a case fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back