Cooler Master announces limited edition MasterWatt Maker MIJ 1200W PSU priced north of $1,000

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Power supplies are often one of the most overlooked components of a custom PC build. With a bit of research, however, you can typically get a solid performer with a decent efficiency rating, all of the necessary cables you’ll need and plenty of juice to spare for less $100.

Even if you have some serious high-end hardware to power, you can probably do so for under $200.

In the rare event that you simply have a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket, you may want to entertain the idea of picking up the Cooler Master MasterWatt Maker MIJ (Made in Japan) 1200-watt power supply.

The cost? North of $1,000.

TechPowerUp managed to get some info regarding the unit on display at CES. According to the site, the 1200-watt PSU carries an 80 Plus Titanium rating (> 94 percent efficiency although Cooler Master claims the unit is > 95 percent efficient) and is built exclusively with Murata components.

Cooler Master says it took three years and 40 engineers to create it. It’s no surprise, then, that Cooler Master calls it the best power supply they’ve ever made.

Only a few thousand of these limited edition units are being produced, likely a wise move as I can’t imagine there are many people lining up to drop more than a grand on a power supply but I digress.

Permalink to story.

Only a few thousand of these limited edition units are being produced, likely a wise move as I can’t imagine there are many people lining up to drop more than a grand on a power supply but I digress.

I think that one is still on topic enough to take out that last part. ;)

Also, this power supply... I guess... maybe for those with self sustaining power... people who have the cash to set up solar panels and make their entire house as energy efficient as possible, and have a Tesla... and yea... idfk... geez.. this comment is pointless...

If it's the last power supply you'll ever need - then sure.

It's like an office chair - you can buy a cheap $99 one and replace it every year because the foam wears out or you can buy a $1200 Herman Miller and never buy another chair again - ever.

It's not about having cash now - it's about having the discipline to go without until you can save up to get the good stuff (or buy something to just hold you over while you save up). In the long run the investment saves you money.

Personally, I spent $300 on a really nice 1000W Plat+ Seasonic PSU three years ago and it's still going super strong with no voltage drops and steady current; so $1000 is a bit much other than for show.

If it's the last power supply you'll ever need - then sure.

It's like an office chair - you can buy a cheap $99 one and replace it every year because the foam wears out or you can buy a $1200 Herman Miller and never buy another chair again - ever.

It's not about having cash now - it's about having the discipline to go without until you can save up to get the good stuff (or buy something to just hold you over while you save up). In the long run the investment saves you money.

Personally, I spent $300 on a really nice 1000W Plat+ Seasonic PSU three years ago and it's still going super strong with no voltage drops and steady current; so $1000 is a bit much other than for show.

No where near a valid comparison.

I've been running a Corsair HX850W since 2009 and was $200. One of their premium units at the time that had a 7-year warranty and it's still going strong. This Cooler Master seems like an overpriced product without a market need. And 3 years for their engineers to design it?

"Cooler Master says it took three years and 40 engineers to create it."

Why? If so all stock holders should sell immediately as they are clearly just burning money. If they made something on the side then maybe but if they made only this and got any sort of humane salary 3 years pay for 40 people is a lot. I guess they will use parts of their work on other projects but from the statement you get the impression they did only this and nothing from it will be used on anything else as they only worked towards this product, not any future products.

3 years for their engineers to design it?

That actually doesn't surprise me. There is more to PSU design than picking a transformer, and dropping in some capacitors and diodes. There are engineers at my company who spent their entire 40 year career working on same power supply; it goes through a new revision every 5-10 years.

That said, I somehow doubt this will provide any noticeable value or advantage over an equivalently-power Seasonic PSU.

I've been running a Corsair HX850W since 2009 and was $200. One of their premium units at the time that had a 7-year warranty and it's still going strong. This Cooler Master seems like an overpriced product without a market need. And 3 years for their engineers to design it?

Plus there only making a few thousand to sell , so they won't make there money back on this psu, but I guess there is more a an advert to say hey look what we can do.

Back